50% with out water in bator ??????????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jayburd, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

Had bad moisture problem. Bought new hydrometer. Took water dish out to lower moisture. Got it to 50%. Stays there without water in bater at all. There is a little moisture on inside of glass top in the corners. I probably should calibrate. or shouldn't I worry.

Thanks All

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Where is your bator located? Mine is currently running in my home office and the humidity INSIDE the house is about 23-25% (due to the heat running)

50% humidity WITHOUT any water sounds kinda high to me this time of year, but it could be from residual moisture left in the bator. I'd watch it pretty closely and add water back if you see it begin to drop. If your bator is in the house (and my "infinite wisdom" tells me upstate NY is still cold as *@#l) and the heat is running, that your inside humidity can't be 50%

Good luck

Scott

3. jayburd

Took it out. It dropped to 30 in 5 min. Does that seem right.

4. jayburd

Got mine in room with tile on concrete floor. back wall has concrete wall up 3 foot. grade outside is 2 1/2 feet above floor. Base board hot water heat. in summer there is more moisture in my 1st floor than normal homes with wood floors.

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I'd let it "settle out" then add water back to get it where you want it...I keep mine around 50%, esp in the winter

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Make sure your hygrometer is calibrated. Mine was way way off lol. It also can depend on the humidity of the room but if you took it out and it dropped that seems wierd if there's no water in the bator and no hatch going on at the moment.

7. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I'd say that the hygrometer is off. Air temp affects humidity too so the incubator should not be the humidity as your room. The warmer the air temp is the lower the humidity is so if your incubator was not up to it's full temp the humidity would be higher. Make sure your incubator is at 99.5 before you get the reading.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Throw the hygrometer away.

Go to Lowes and by a cheap indoor/outdoor digital themometer that also shows humidity (less than $20). Run the little cord that normally goes outside into the incubator and BAM! your up and running! saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by