$502.00 to clean my jrt's teeth. Are you KIDDING me?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by True Grit, Nov 10, 2010.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I know my vet isn't the cheapest but I took my 16 yr old jrt in and said told them I thought he needed his teeth cleaned so they would need to do the blood prework on him because of his age but I never suspected they would charge me $167 for the prework and $335 for the anesthesia and cleaning. [​IMG] They didn't even pull any teeth. Who knows what THAT would have cost. Hmm maybe I should have been brushing his teeth all along...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Thats about right. My Dad has a Llasa Apso and he just paid around that for hers to be done.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    My 4 year old chihauhau mix has bad teeth already. I really need to start brushing them, but she does NOT like it at all, and I have to find time to do it. I really don't want to pay $500 for a tooth cleaning, so I know I have to start. About how often should you brush your dog's teeth anyway?

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Our vet charges about $100 sometimes a little more or less for a cleaning. I think it depends on the size of the dog.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I had something similar recently. I had a cat who broke a tooth.....it didnt really bother him but while i had him at the vet for his regular bloodwork, I got an estimate to have it removed.

Tooth removal plus dental and not including bloodwork was around $400. Yikes. Bloodwork was another $100ish.....

No thanks! He eats dry food perfectly fine and doesn't appear to be bothered about the tooth. Its been about a year since i noticed it was broken. [​IMG]

I have an older poodle who has always had a "stinky mouth". Her teeth were never horrible but could have used a cleaning....but who could afford a million dollar dental? Not I.

Her mouth very recently started REEKING. Like smelling so bad you can't be in the same room with her. One look at her teeth was horrifying. They were rotten and some were literally oozing......

[​IMG]

I was recommended a new vet who was much more reasonable. Took her there......was quoted $70 for the dental and $40 for the inhouse preop bloodwork to make sure she was okay to go under (she has a grade IV heart murmur). I also had them clean her ears while she was under as she has a chronic ear infection on one side. I had taken her in the week prior and was prescribed antibiotics to start 2 days before the dental. They were about $20 or a bit less.

When I went to pick her up they came out and said that they had to do 12 extractions. TWELVE. They said her teeth were gunked up with a lot of hair......some of the teeth were pretty much being held in by hair. GROSS. She is an obsessive licker of her 'boyfriend' my shepherd. Anywho, 12 teeth removed, ears cleaned, nails trimmed and preop bloodwork.

$110 total. They didn't charge me extra for the ear cleaning or nail trimming OR any of the extractions.

I almost fell over. They are my new favorite vet. LOL

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I just looked it up and at least every other day or preferably daily. Give them a taste of toothpaste and start slowly brushing a few teeth and working your way up to all the teeth on the outside only. With three dogs, my nightly routine just got longer.[​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Vet fees have become outrageous. I have 15 beagles, a breed that is notorious for bad teeth. Every couple of weeks I buy knuckle bones at the Amish market. I bake them and give them to the dogs. They gnaw on the bones, use them as play toys and remove the tartar from their teeth. Works for me- give it a try.

8. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    If you are brushing your dogs teeth at home then be sure to use doggie tootpaste. Fluoride in adult human toothpastes is toxic if swallowed.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I had 2 greyhounds - notorious for bad teeth. Neither had a teeth cleaning before they came to my home at 2.
    Very rarely did I brush their teeth.

While in Kodiak, their teeth got kind of nasty, but no way was I having their teeth cleaned there.
    Moved back to the lower 48 and their teeth started getting better on their own. Our doberman's teeth were not an issue while in Kodiak (but he lived his entire life there).

Just shy of 11, I lost my male. Never had his teeth cleaned. He was a fan of raw marrow bones. Those kept his teeth clean.
    Now quickly approaching 12, my female has also never had her teeth cleaned and probably never will. She was also a fan of marrow bones, but not so much now, but will still chew rawhides.
    The rawhides don't do very much, but the marrow bones... better than a tooth brush.

If you can't or don't want to brush - see if you can find marrow bones. Give them those to chew on. Should do wonders with their teeth.

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Better to have it done right and pay for it. I'm an ER vet and I get to see the cheaper versions of surgeries...which end up being more expensive after I have to fix them. [​IMG]

Oh, and the marrow bones - those can get over the canine teeth and stuck on the jaw...fast forward past the panicked owner and pet to the $300 bill to put them under anesthesia and cut it off. Not worth it if you ask me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by