$502.00 to clean my jrt's teeth. Are you KIDDING me?

Quote:
Never had an issue with my dogs and their marrow bones or any other bones they've had in the past 10 years. The vast majority of the ones I've given my dogs over the years have no way to fit over their jaw. And they get turkey necks when I can find them. Like anything else, I have an eye on them when they have their 'treats'

Their teeth were beautiful while I was feeding them raw, but at the time, finding good prices on beef was difficult and they couldn't do chicken/turkey/lamb.

I have chihuahuhas too They have bad teeth notoriously. Little dog food made for their size. My dogs get regular size dry kibble for chewing. And I have beef leg bones cut in to 1 inch rings by the butcher they love them. In fact fights sometime break out because somebody wants them all. They hide them and dig then out weeks later to have a chew.
Vets rape old people on there animal care charges. If you dont believe it ask a old retired vet. My favorite vet just retired and moved to Washington. used to drive 45 miles to see him. His c-sections in the middle of the night $350. Here in the valley 1500 up front to start. I dont breed anymore.

Alot of time on your long hair dogs the bad smell s just hair wrapped around teeth. I remove it all the time for people who I groom their dogs. I also recomend fresh beef bones. If the dogs aren't so spoiled they wont chew on a bone.

Sorry to say that sounds about right.
hmm.png
Sorry because I have two dogs and four cats, so I really feel your pain!

Daily brushing kept me from having to have my Great Danes teeth cleaned till he was 6 years old. He was being put under to have a non cancerous tumor removed so I had his teeth done at the same time. It was pricey but everything is with a Dane. The vet tech who did his teeth told me that my dogs teeth were in pretty good shape so I feel that the daily brushing really helps. I have a 14 yo JRT who has had her teeth cleaned at the vet one time and had to have a tooth pulled. If I am remembering right, the whole thing was around $800. She does not cooperate with the tooth brushing like my Dane so her brushings are few and far between. I have heard before that small dogs have more tooth related problems but the JRT is the only small dog I have owned so I don't have that much experience in that area.

Quote:
These kinds of vet prices are part of why so many animals end up in shelters.

I agree. also, prices like these are why dogs go without care.......if my vet had wanted to charge me $110 for a dental/bloodwork last year I would have gone ahead with it instead of having to wait until it was absolutely necessary.

As far as the person who said that "cheap dentals" aren't good. The cost of the service has nothing to do with the quality of care. Just because you pay a lot for it doesn't mean its any better than the less expensive one down the road. My "new" vet is a large high volume place.....my "old" vet is a tiny place in a really well-to-do area of town. Are the $140 yearly vaccinations any better than the $60 ones? No.

Gotta agree. My new vet is actually a walk-in. No appointments needed. Thus they have no lost revenue from people who miss appointments. They do not, however, do "high end" stuff that only the elite can afford. They spay & neuter. They'll clean teeth. They'll diagnose and treat routine stuff. However, if you want Twinkie to have plastic surgery to reshape her nose, you'll have to look elsewhere. They are smack dab in the middle of a working class neighborhood, with pockets of middle class scattered here and there. Most folks around here can't afford high priced stuff. Folks around here shop at Aldi's, Save-A-Lot, Price-Chopper, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and K-mart. A lot of folks use the city bus for transportation.

Bones can't be given to all dogs. Quite of few of them get intestinal blockages and die from eating bones. We listened to the 'must feed bones' advice and very nearly lost a dog, and oh! Was the emergency care expensive! Much more expensive than a couple year's cleanings.

Teeth that appear clean are not always clean. Much of the problem is where one can't easily see it. Many animals die of infections and kidney damage that starts with neglected teeth. Constantly fighting infections takes a toll on the immune system and can also cause damage to other systems.

Pets need dental care.

Brush their teeth with appropriate toothpaste weekly to keep dental care costs down.

Having pets is expensive.

If you don't have the money for necessary care, don't have pets.

Many times, money is better spent on veterinary appointments than expensive premium foods that do nothing while forgoing vet appointments and routine care.

I have very, very strict standards:

Not married or 'separated'(generally means 'decided not to go home tonight'). Must be male. Not CURRENTLY residing in a publicly run facility or institution. Between the ages of 18 and 75. Can drive.

Juuuuust kidding.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can buy a powder to put in their food that eats the tartar off their teeth. It is for tartar removel in canine teeth. Can't remember tha name of the product but it is made in the USA. One of the ingredients is kelp.
It isn't cheap but lasts quite awhile.
I know several people who feed it to their dogs, suggested to them by a canine Nutritionist and they say it works really well.
I feed my dogs raw bones and it does the same thing. Some people don't want to feed raw bones so the powder is a option.

Back
Top Bottom