1. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    So I have just got done with my coop bout three weeks ago an The run is startin to stink a little bit an I was wonderin about how to keep it from stinkin an how is tha best way to clean it out Sombody suggested sand but didnt know how much or anything so any suggestions would bE great

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I guess it depends on how much its sinking. What did you use as footings?

3. sky king

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Footings ? Like dirt ? If that's what u meen then it's a mix of clay an top soil an grass

4. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    three weeks and it's stinking already? [​IMG] That's no fun. I assume it's wet?? I've heard the sand method works well. Dump a nice layer of sand in there and just scoop out the poop every day or every other. I had a plan in my head if I ran into this problem of digging a moat type of trench around the edge of my run...like a 12 inch deep by 6 or 8 inch wide trench....filling with a crushed stone/gravel mix...just to give the water a place to go. Luckily after the winter thaw puddles dried up, so did my run and away went the bit of a stink. If the run is dry, try some food grade diatamacious earth (DE), I probably botched the spelling...but if the run is dry, try a light layer of that over the run to help dry it out a little more?? Sorry I'm not much help....good luck [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Er, I think the o.p. is talking about the run sTinking, i.e. smellin' bad?

If so, the problem is generally some combination of "too wet" (see my 'fix a muddy run' page, link in .sig below, for a multi-pronged approach to fixing that) and/or "too many chickens for the size area".

Stall powders or DE or lime can provide some temporary relief but really IMO you need to address the root cause(s).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. sky king

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Omg thank you all so much I will put ideas to use an post back up an let you all know But really thanks
    Sky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by