50lb Grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by matsechler, Aug 8, 2014.

1. matsechler

matsechler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Utah
    So looking online for a better price on 50 LB bag of grit since no one carries it around here, and found this one. Just wanted to know what everyone thinks since its not granite.

http://www.midlandhardware.com/179824.html#.U-UEcKi7nhk

"50 LB, #2, 3/16 in., Cherry Stone Grit, Plastic Bag Is A Multi Purpose, Sharp, Crushed Rock That Can Be Sold As Poultry Grit To Aid In The Digestion Process For Poultry, Can Also Be Used As A Natural Alternative To Harsh Salts Which Can Cause Flaking & Scaling Of Concrete, 100% Quartzite, Environmentally Friendly Grit Will Not Dissolve, Become Mushy, Stain Surfaces Or Hasten The Deterioration Of Concrete Surfaces, Angular Shape It Is More Effective At Preventing Slips & Falls Than Regular Sand."

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's perfect. It doesn't HAVE to be granite, it just needs to be some insoluble sharp stone.

ETA

I use the same stuff in #1, #2 and #3 sizes delivered with my feed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. matsechler

matsechler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Utah
    What about pigeon grit, does anyone use that? I saw it had a lot of different stuff in it so wasn't sure.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Pigeon Grit works well, the Red grit w/ granite and or flint is best. (watch some have granite and or flint, some just have oyster shell as a grit)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by