51/2 wk GLW roo or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vanridge, Jun 24, 2010.

1. vanridge

vanridge Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Can you help me? we are as rookie as you can get when it comes to chickens. From what I have read on BYC our 4 SLW are 2 roos and 2 pullets because of the colors of their wings. 2 have more white on them, they have white wing bars. Now what about our GLW? I sent some pics but any time I try take a good one they are moving and won't stand still. When I get close to the coop they get excited because they know I am bringing a swarm of mosqitoes with me. We are having a bit of a mosquito invasion because of all the rain. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I know there are some experts out there, please help if you can, or even if you could tell me what to look for, that would be awesome. Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Best indicater of a roo is the wider, redder comb and larger red wattles. Pullets combs look yellow and are thinner and wattles at this age are almost non-existant. First picture the two GLW's facing forward look like roos. [​IMG]

3. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    maybe seabrights but they dont have alot of color like my seabrights did. Their feathers are still coming in so i cant tell as well. I guess gold and silver seabrights because of their colors, size and feather formation. Do they have single or Rose combs?

4. vanridge

Jun 24, 2010
    They were sold as GLW. They have rose combs. 2 are a lot redder then the other 3 and the 2 red ones also have bigger combs. The other 3 have larger tails and more feathers.....

5. chickee

Quote:Yes, they are Gold Laced Wyandottes. I found with mine that the rooster chicks are slower to feather out than the pullets. [​IMG]

6. vanridge

Jun 24, 2010
    That would make my day:weee I will try to get better pics of them but they don't cooperate too well because they love eating those mosquitoes. So is there a difference between how you sex GLW and SLW?

7. chickee

I've never heard of feather color sexing Wyandottes. And even feather developement can sometimes fool you! I had a BLGW pullet that was slow to feather and I was so sure she was a he! Boy was I surprised! [​IMG] Combs and wattles inlarging and turning red are still the best way to tell. I know what you mean about trying to take pictures of the little darlings! I love taking pictures of my chickens but they just won't cooperate!! [​IMG] Post some more pictures and I'll tell you what I think. I may have seen a third GLW roo in the bunch?
    And [​IMG]

8. vanridge

Jun 24, 2010
    #1 this one I am not sure about
    [​IMG]
    #1 same bird, he/she is a fast one
    [​IMG]
    #2 don't know
    [​IMG]
    #3 don't know
    [​IMG]
    #4 I am assuming this is a roo
    [​IMG]
    #5 I am assuming this is a roo too
    [​IMG]

I am very confused by these guys because as you can see, #4 and #5 have short tails, slower feathering, red wattles and combs. If I compare #1, #2, #3 with them then you think maybe, just maybe there are some hens here although #1 is starting to come up more on my roodar. If any of you could give me some sort of clue that would be great...even if it's bad news:fl. Our plan when we decided to get chickens was just to get a few laying birds. My sister in law said" I am going to get you some for your birthday. What do you want." I stared at her with a blank face and she said "do you want brown or white eggs." I said "Let's go crazy and get some brown layers." So she ordered them for me. I started to wonder what was all out there because a friend of mine had some columbian wyandottes and she really liked them. So I did the old search engine on the internet and ended up here, fell in love with the wyandottes( and about 15 other breeds) and stumbled across an old ad from a guy who sold some chicks. When I phoned him he said" your in luck, we just hatched some out yesterday, come pick them up tomorrow." The chicks my sister in law ordered some how got lost in translation and she came to me with ten meat birds. So instead of having 15 hens, I might only have 2[​IMG]. Oh well in 2 years I will actually see the humor in all of this, (maybe even this winter when there is a nice roasted bird in my oven:D)

9. chickee

This is what I think they are~ [​IMG]

#1 Rooster
    #2 Pullet
    #3 Pullet
    #4 Rooster
    #5 ? Because the picture is the same as #4 (Rooster)

That's too bad about the broilers! [​IMG] I could never eat an animal I raised. Guess I'm still just a city girl at heart, even tho I live in the country now! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. vanridge

Jun 24, 2010
    #5 that's what happens when you are in a hurry:p However the picture I meant to send would show a very similar bird. Cool that I might have a few pullets though:D . About eating what you raise.... we raise cows and we also got some pigs this year for the freezer...plus our oldest is in 4-H. He has to sell his steer in a couple of weeks so someone else can eat him. We are used to that sort of thing, however, I am a little concerned about how our son will react when his steer is actually sold. Butchering is not something I want to do, and I have 2 friends who are willing to take a wyandotte rooster which makes me happy because they are so pretty. Never thought I'd get this excited about chickens.......who knew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by