53 9 days old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 5oaksFarm, Jul 26, 2014.

1. 5oaksFarm

5oaksFarm New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I have bought a professional brooder that states can hold 100 chicks up to 2 weeks old but I only bought 50 crackles red broilers (meat chickens) to start with. I normally buy year old chickens for eggs layers but have decided to try and raise my own meat chickens. I have a few questions to start with.

1) I have set the brooder to 90 degrees according to the sell instructions and to lower it by 5 degrees every week. But to what point?
    2) When is the best age to move them to the coop? week 3 week 4 ??
    3) Should I keep food and water in front of the at all times? They eat about 3 pounds a day and drink about 1 to 2 liters of water a day.
    4) According to the seller they should be at 5 to 6 pounds in 7 to 8 weeks is it ok to take them out to 9 to 10 weeks to have a bigger bird?
    5) My coop is a old chicken coop with fenced in run and had older chickens in it several years ago and need to be cleaned out. What is the best why to disinfect the old coop? A old timer farmer told me to use 3:1 bleach water and spray it down with. I was going to line the floor with a hard form and cover that with pine shavings and finish them out in that for the last 6 to 8 weeks.
    6) I am thinking of doing 50 Rhode Island Reds after this run for the egg layer part. How long before they start laying eggs? Can they be in the same coop and pin as the meat chickens at the same time?

Well this is just a few of the questions that I have and can find it in any of the books that I have bought.
    Thank in advance
    Matt

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by