55 gallon feeder ideas

I was thinking about making a big one too! My current idea is just to make it like the smaller bucket feeders... We have a bunch of 55gal metal drum containers, and I was thinking about drilling a few holes around the sides at the very bottom, and then putting the whole barrel in a larger tray.

I like the 55gal idea because I could basically throw 2 bags of feed in and not worry for a week or 2!

if it's a metal drum you could try taking a hacksaw and saw a horizontal slit about 2in(or what ever works for you) up from the bottom of the barrel. Then just take a hammer and give the metal above the slit a couple wacks which would dent it in leaving a little feeding cup formed in the side of the barrel. You could make as many of these around the barrel as you need. If there is too much flow/waste from this then just rivet an extension to the inside of the barrel making the dented in portion longer which will reduce the flow into the cup area.

plastic barrel you could just make a hole for your hens to stick their head in and install a diffuser to the inside of the barrel to control the flow of food toward the hole(s). if you plan on filling the barrel with feed then the diffuser should be very sturdy so as not to get deformed by the weight of the food.

For both types I think it would be best if the diffuser extends a little lower then the bottom of the hole in the side of the barrel. That way there is food to be reached by the girls but it won't overflow the feeder cup/hole.

Back
Top Bottom