Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Velociraptor, May 23, 2008.

1. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Well,
    You can place them in your local paper, I had 11 and was able to give away 9 in one day (and the phone calls just kept coming after they left!)

You could raise them until 10 - 12 weeks and then use them as roasters. In maine they have a place that does the deed for you and prepares the bird as well. My kids wanted to try the 'give away' option first and it worked. Good luck to you!

3. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    If you were to do I second coop, I would suspect that you would want it to be out of sight of the hencoop. Othewise I think you''d still have fighting between a couple of the roosters. Personally, I'd eat two of the roosters and grab a couple more chicks [​IMG]

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    One of my so called pullets started crowed three times yesterday and 9 times this moring at 4:20. He is a weeks old. And now that I am watching more carefully and saw him and my RIR butting chests. Perhaps two roos? Suprisingly DH said that as long as he doesn't hear him I can keep him for a while longer. ( DH works 12 hour swing shifts ) So most of the time he isn't home or he is sleeping like the dead. But my neighbors will kill me if Popeye starts waking the up just after 4am. And them possible 2 alarm clocks [​IMG]
    Looks like I might have two roasaters and have to go get more chicks [​IMG] I like chick shoping [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    5 hens for 2 roos is not good they will tear the hens up bigtime. I believe it is 12 hens per rooster i could be wrong.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I believe I have 5 roos in with 20 hens atm...2 silkies, 1 polish, 1 black bantam, and 1 black cochin bantam. Even if I were to make a meal out of a few there isn't enough there to feed me let alone my DH. We are going to build a smaller coop and put 2 small hens in with 1 rooster because they are way to small to be in with the big girls. Then that leaves 4. Which to get rid of?? It's such a hard hard decision.

The black bantam is my DH's favorite and would be my first to go but I don't think he'll let that be an option. I will rehome 1 silkie.

I think I should build 2 more coops, lol. My DH is gonna loooovvveeee me when I give him the idea. One for the silkie and 2 silkie hens and 1 with the cochin and 2 small bantam hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by