1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

5mo Old Black Australorp Roo needs a new home - Alden/Traverse City, MI

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by DawnB, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chirping

Anyone in the Northern MI area looking for a roo? I have a beautiful 5mo old Black Australorp. He is very well behaved, I just have more roo's than I need...(I've got 4).

Here are some pics... I'm in Alden (between Kalkaska & Traverse City). Message me if you're interested!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mickey416

mickey416 In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    petoskey, Michigan
    hi! this is second try at posting, so if you get two from me sorry. just new on this site. I am from Petoskey MI and am looking for a rooster. Is he still available? we have 12 buff orpington hens. I have never been on sites like this and am not very good at figuring how to move around and what some of the icons do. Hope that I do this right and you receive it. It would be good to talk to someone in the area. hope to hear from you soon.

3. DawnB

DawnB Chirping

HRhi. The Black Australorp is already spoken for. But I do have a Barred Rock rooster that is available. He's about 3. If your interested let me know. He's a good boy too... I just have four roosters and I don't need four. They are all well-behaved. Ours our livestock...not pets...so handling him is at a minimum. Let me know if you're interested.

4. mickey416

mickey416 In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    petoskey, Michigan
    Sorry to hear that he is gone, but happy to hear that he has a new home. We were surprised to see your post as we had just decided that that was the type of rooster we were looking for. How was your rooster as far as crowing, was he really loud and crow alot? Do you have australorp hens, if so, do they lay as well as advertised? We had thought about a buckeye rooster as the info I have says that they have a low crow. Are you familiar with them? Is there a chance that you will have another australorp rooster in the future. Do you get your chickens locally, or from a mail order hatchery? My husband has his heart set on an australorp right now, but I have been leaning toward the buckeye because of the low crow. thank you for the chance at a barred rock but I think we will wait and see if we can locate one of the two.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. DawnB

DawnB Chirping

I got my chickens from www.mypetchicken.com . It was the first time I ordered chicks. My barred rocks we adopted when they were around 2 years old. My pet chicken did a great job. We had ordered all females but ended up with two roos. They both started crowing at 8 weeks. Compared to my other two, they have an ordinary volume crow. I do like the Australorps so far, most of them started laying at about 18 weeks. Good luck on your hunt. And if you change your mind on that barred rock let me know. :D

6. mickey416

mickey416 In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    petoskey, Michigan
    found two australorp roosters and they arrived by way of a friend yesterday afternoon. I don't know how they will work out yet, but they sure are beautiful. thanks again for your offer of a barred rock but hubby was set on the australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by