5mo White Rock Stopped Laying

bathchickengirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Hi BYC friends!
I am a chicken newbie. I have a 5 1/2 month old (24 weeks to be exact) White Rock in my flock of 6. She began laying about 5 weeks ago. She laid about 4-5 eggs each week for an entire month then last week she stopped. She doesn't appear to be any different physically. She is still beautiful and her temperament is still the same as always. I brought her inside last night to let her soak in a warm bath and relax so that I could check her externally to see if I could feel an egg in her lower abdomen. I didn't think that I felt anything. I gave her a quick blow dry and sent her back out to the coop. I guess that I just wondered if this is normal with new layers?? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!!

She might be broody? She's young, but I've had hens go broody at that age and within a few weeks of laying their first eggs. The shorter days are also influencing egg production this time of the year, though she's young and it's early days still. Have you looked for any hidden nests? Hens like to slope off sometimes and go lay in an impossible spot somewhere, after they'd sometimes go broody and disappear, only to reappear with a clutch of chicks 3 weeks later! You'd be amazed how often that happens.

I have a rather small pen for them and live in a development so I can't free range them very often. The coop is attached to the pen/run and is about 10x10. All fenced in.
I clean it every 6-7 days and have not seen any sign of a hidden nest. I don't have a roo either so chicks would be an impossibility : ). All good thoughts though!! Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom