1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5roos pick 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by negrita, Oct 19, 2015.

1. negrita

negrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    any advice on what roos i should pick i have 10 girls 5 roos and i heard i can only have 2.
    they are black australorp
    white leghorn
    dark bhrama
    barred rock
    red roo not sure what just has dark red feathers and black in tail abd around neck area
    my main purpose is egg production and breed my pullets are 2black australorp
    polish, houdan 3 reds 1 unknown. 1 white leghorn 1 ss

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    If you wanna sell eggs id get the black australorp as you have 2 hens i would at least or the leghorn.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're looking for egg production, go with that Leghorn rooster. I've been very impressed each time I crossed one into my dual purpose flock. The offspring lay lots of large eggs, and don't eat as much as the dual purpose mothers. You'll get light tan/cream eggs for the most part.

With only 10 hens, I'd go down to just the one rooster. If you really want a second male, I'd go with the Australorp. They're great layers, docile birds and you could get purebred chicks to sell if you were so inclined.

4. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    thanks the australorp is my fave my least fave is the leghorn but i cried when he went missing for a day

5. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    its just for us the eggs were 5 and we love eggs all of us

6. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    funny u say docile he keeps fighting with the red the leghorn is ignored by them

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    docile breed or not, I'm guessing you're dealing with young cockerels. Those hormones flow and cause issues no matter the breed.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by