5th lose in two weeks is this normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by belgie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    2 weeks ago I picked up 26 meat birds, all was going well about the 5 or 6 day one died, sad but when over the course of the next 4 days we lost 3 more, I asked around and started adding Neo-Chlor to their water (as directed by our vet) all was great again thought the worst was over, but this morning found another one has died. I know sometimes they just get sick and die but is it normal to lose 5 in the first 2 weeks? The brooder is nice and warm, I clean it everyday, fresh water, lots of food.....I just don't know what is going on and am getting frustrated. I was wanting to do this again but at this rate I'm thinking its a wast of my time not to mention cruel to the chicks. A friend got his chicks from a different supplier and hasn't lost any his are now 5 weeks! He has come to check out my set up and can't find anything.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Where did you get your meat birds? Maybe it traveled with them?

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Hi there, sorry for your troubles.
    I, too, started with 26 cornish roasters. I lost four chicks over the first few weeks (2 died, 2 culled). THey had some sort of respiratory thing going on.
    After that, the rest of the birds flourished. I didn't have anymore losses.
    I know how discouraging it can be when you've done everything by the book and still experience losses.
    Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with your efforts. Some losses are normal. Shipping is stressful. Life at the farm store is stressful. Acclimating to new surroundings is stressful. Sometimes we get bad feed, woodchips, etc.
    I would say to keep the water clean, good feed, proper brooder temps, somewhere I read that meatie chicks benefit from a little more room, proper ventilation (without drafts), proper pine shavings, maybe a little vitamins in the water. It sounds like you are doing all of these things. THat is all I can think of.
    I hope you don't experience any more losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by