5th toes rubbing? now with pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Dec 12, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 3 Silkie/ D'Uccle chicks. They all have 5 toes, but the one chicks 2 toes are quite a bit bigger than the other chicks and are swiping each other when he walks. They look a little red, but not raw or anything. Anybody know anything about this? Should I be concerned?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

can u post pics

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I tried to get one, but its dark, very cold, and the chickie was not having it. I will need someone to either hold the chick for me or take the pic....so might be a little while before I can get one.....

It has the 3 normal toes, then a smaller one and the fifth one look like they come out as one and split....like silkies toes look. Its just that the 5th toes are quite a bit longer than the 4th and they are right on the inside of the leg, rather than to the back. I will try again for a photo.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

poor thing. maybe u can wrap the toes togeather to keep them from rubbing

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
  6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:He really doesn't seem bothered. Certainly doesn't impede his movement at all. Its just odd and I'm curious.

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So I guess it must not be a big deal if nobody's saying anything. Well, I'll bump myself up and then if still nothing, I will drop the subject. Thanks all!

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont know anything or any advice- but they look like normal silkie feet to me. The second chicks extra toes look to be on the small side.

My humble opinion, which I wouldnt use in an argument.

9. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know anything that may help you, but I would like to give your post a bump so you can find a little help... keep us posted [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by