5wk chick having trouble pooping, red swollen vent - help!

alandmark

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 7, 2010
I posted this in the diseases section and haven't gotten any responses, so re-posting here:

I have a 5wk Delaware chick that's having a lot of trouble pooping -- it comes halfway out of her vent and gets stuck, and she peeps loudly like it really hurts. She's had pasty butt in the past, but seemed to have cleared up by week 2 -- had a couple with pasty butt and just kept washing them with warm water. There's nothing externally blocking the excrement -- I clipped back the down and feathers and have smeared olive oil several times. Problem seems to be worse in the morning. I've been running warm water over her vent and she eventually has a full bowel movement, but her vent is continually red and enlarged. Nothing internal is protruding however, so I don't think it's prolapse, and none of the other chicks seem to be picking on her. I've seen her eat and drink water, and she dove right in this morning when I sprinkled scratch and clover into the brooder for them. I've been giving them greens or berries every day in addition to their crumble. I've not been feeding any antibiotics or other medications. Temp in the brooder is about 70-75 degrees and she's with 13 other Delaware chicks on a pine shavings bedding. She's also quite a bit smaller than the rest of the chicks, and she keeps her feathers ruffled up more -- maybe because she's smaller the temp isn't warm enough? But would temp have anything to do with her blockage problems? I've been adding apple cider vinegar to their waterer every other day after reading that might help the acidity in their gut, but hasn't seemed to make a difference with her. I'm going to separate her with the one other smaller size chick and see if a warmer temp helps. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Thanks -- yogurt is a good idea. Today was the first day I threw some scratch in there -- it's just been grass, clover and lettuce prior to that.

Her droppings look perfectly normal, perhaps a bit large -- she's just having trouble passing them. But color is normal, brown with some white, and consistency is just like the other chicks' droppings. I haven't been providing grit yet -- they're still on chick starter. Is that something I should start offering them? I hadn't thought to give them banana, so I'll try that too.

I'm not sure if it would make her have a hard time passing poo, but if they're getting any kind of food besides chick crumbles, they need to have some grit too. If they're ONLY eating crumbles, they don't need it but if you're supplementing with greens or other treats, they have to have it
smile.png

At five weeks, chick crumbles only or not, I would have been introducing them to some grit unless they're outside and can get their own.

The added moisture from yogurt sounds like a good suggestion too.

Last edited:
Ooops...forgot something!

I've read somewhere here on BYC that you shouldn't introduce grain until they're 8 weeks or so old. I could be wrong, but I think that's the commonly accepted age for grains.

Last edited:
Your chicks must have grit or sand if you are feeding anything other than chick crumbles. Get a small plastic container and put 4 to 6 inches of sand in it - the chicks will bathe and eat what they need - they will be in chickie heaven. Personally I give all my chicks sand starting on day 3.

Sand/grit is needed for the gizzard to properly grind food - allows for much better digestion.

I also feed grains - safflower, boss, millet, wheat, and oats to my chicks - it is my scratch.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that! Glad I posted my question. I'll put that out tonight and we'll see if it helps my constipated chick. Do you know of any remedies I should be putting on her red and swollen vent?

Back
Top Bottom