5wk Columbian Wyandottes - true to breed? Partridge PRs - gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlazeJester, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have two "columbian wyandottes" that I'm pretty suspicious of at this point. They were purchased from mypetchicken.com and were from the 1 August hatch. If any of these kids is a cockerel I'd be interested to know, but I know they're also still pretty young and maturing at widely varying rates (and a neighbor has a rooster, so I'm pretty sure I have no ordinance against it). I'm mostly curious to know whether it's common for Columbian Wyandottes to vary so widely in color or if my lanky slow grower is another breed altogether.

One of these kids has been slow maturing from the start - it's skinny to the point of being lanky, has all its neck feathers but almost none on the body still, and as far as I can tell actually doesn't have a comb at all. It's also very dark, from what I can tell of the Columbian's coloring:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other Columbian has seemingly normal coloring and lots of feathers, but a straight comb instead of a rose comb. When photographing today I just noticed reddish wattles beginning to grow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a partridge plymouth rock that has a reddish comb & growing wattles, but when I think back to my BRs growing up we were surprised to see how full and red their combs grew in... it was really, REALLY difficult to get this one to sit still at all. I love the PRs though, they're gorgeous and have such personalities!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the other partridge rock, Rocky (my only named chicken of now 15), but she's not really good for comparison since she was sick for about a week and has been slower to grow since recovering (and still has several groups of feathers to grow in):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think the first is a silver laced wyandotte, not colombian. I'm not sure on genders, think they are girls but they are pretty young to tell.

3. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    What did your Wyandotte look like as a chick? If it was black and yellow with no blending between the two colors, it's most likely Silver Laced. Columbians tend to be black and yellow, but the two colors blend together to create a smokey look.

Cackle Hatchery photo of Columbian Wyandotte chicks
    [​IMG]

Cackle Hatchery photo of Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The first one does not look like a columbian wyandotte. It does not look like a silver laced wyandotte either because the colors are opposite. My SLWs were pretty black at that age with the white in the middle of the feathers.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I agree it doesn't look like a Columbian Wyandotte, however, at 1wk this is what she looked like (pretty well blended I'd say) - she was already growing more slowly than the rest:

[​IMG]

It'll be interesting to see how she turns out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by