5wk old Muscovy needs wing amputation

TabbiMae

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
1) What type of bird , age and weight
Female Muscovy duck, 5 weeks old, 2lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's acting normally, rests more often but is foraging when I let her stretch her legs. Eating and drinking, socializing with her siblings
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She was attacked 4 days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
She lost up to her elbow on her left wing, the bone extending beyond the elbow joint is still connected and broken. It is no longer bleeding although is showing signs of infection.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
5 month old puppy used her as a chew toy
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Electrolyte food mash, scrambled egg, nutridrench water, what she gets while foragibg
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Given aspirin, nutridrench, debrided the wound, applied Neosporin and bandage 2 times a day.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat myself, I am familiar with caponizing cockerels so I'm not afraid of surgery just need instructions.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Image is last night while changing her bandage.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
During the night she stays in a large brooder in the house, with access to food and water with clean, non cedar bedding.

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_173328.jpg
    IMG_20180816_173328.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 29
Oh gosh, I am so sorry! I really can't offer much advise on amputation, I have never taken it this far. But it does sound like you are treating her medical wise well. Keep her warm. Injured birds go into shock easily. Shock causes the birds system to shut down, they get cold and die. Aspirin is good for pain and inflammation however it does thin the blood and she could bleed more, so be careful there. She will no doubt need antibiotics too.

Make sure she is well hydrated and eating, even if she is turning her bill up on poultry food. Feed her what ever she will eat.

Hopefully someone else chimes in here with more info on getting your bird healed!

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock

Sorry I have not treated an amputated wing, but since this happened four days ago, it probably does not matter at this point. When it happened I would have cleaned it with betadine, and applied plain Neosporin or Triple antibiotic twice a day. There is obvious bruising which is the green skin, and normal. I would have tried to get some antibiotic from the vet or take it in. Procaine penicillin G is available at most feed stores if it seems infected at this time. Give 1/4 ml daily 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep into the breast muscle alt. sides daily, for 4-5 days, but it may not be necessary this far along. Sorry about your duck.

Back
Top Bottom