5yr hen large squishy belly blocked vent put my finger inside wouldn't budge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosegal, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    put on gloves and worked my finger up, and found the opening. Must have punctured something as projectile fluid, rancid smelling gushed out. Her belly filled up again, and I repeated procedure. Finally after 3 gushes, yes my hand will smell for days, and remember I had on gloves. I was able to feel her total inside cavities and everything seemed normal, but her gizzard felt very spicky and pointy. She bleed just a little with the fluid at the end and dripped a little. After 2 hours, she let out a runny white poop. What do you think is her prognosis? What could cause this?
    Thanks

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Put her down. She isn't going to make it.

Sorry.

3. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    She died about an hour later and I have been up most of the night to try and find the answer. She had a very good, happy, life and I loved her dearly. Hardest part will be telling the 7 yr. old that raised her as a chick that she has died. Thankfully she was here yesterday and saw her.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so sorry, but she was one of the lucky chickens, she was loved

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. And very sorry you have to explain it to the child. That's the worst part. My sympathies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by