6 1/2 month Sussex not laying and "pasted up" advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trishkabob, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    We have a speckled Sussex who hasn't laid yet (have kept her in pen enough to check to see if she is laying in hiding places but no eggs in nest box) and I noticed today that she looks like a chick does when pasted up (which she was as a chick and we had to keep cleaning her before it cleared up).
    We lost our austrolorp to a predator last week and she was the queen and leader of the 3. now Alice, the Sussex, is one of 2 and her last companion, a SLW, is making it clear who will be boss from now on. as they adjust to new order and being one of only 2 we wonder if her laying has been delayed due to the stress or if she has coccyx. she is bright and clear eyed, good feathers, shiny and full. Eating well...everything good but no egg and weird feces situation. we saw a more liquid poop (bit more watery than the icky every-tenth-one smelly one) recently.
    We will research coccyx but is this an emergency?

also, thanks to those who responded about the austrolorp, Gertrude. We are still sad and in reply to some thoughts of posters: yes, we are rethinking and shifting the degree to which they roam free. they are in the pen more and we are gong to make a bigger fenced area and look into adding some friends once we recover from Gertrude's loss a bit more. not sure we want to introduce hens in approaching winter or brood chicks in Nov....

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is she doing?

I would was her hind end up, dry her and then keep an eye in her. Could be as simple as her fluffy bottom catching a bit of poo.

3. Trishkabob

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    Hi. She still seems chipper but her butt is quite gross. We are going to try to wash her tomorrow without scaring her too much...thinking of gently setting her butt in a bill of warm water and softening the stuff, then cleaning with a cloth. I'm hoping it IS just gunk on her rear and not an infection. Just want to keep them well and happy as the weather gets cold.
    Thanks.

4. Trishkabob

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    We took a 2 pronged fork and while she was busy leaning over with treats we pulled-gently- and got most of it, with few feathers....what a difference. She still hasn't laid an egg though....born april 20 so 29+ weeks old. is that weird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by