6/1/2 week old chicks breed suggestions/help please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Missymac, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I will try to give you as much info as I can for each chick, which is not much..lol. If anyone thinks any of the chicks are NOT pullets please let me know.They have EEs(only a couple), Barred Rocks, light brahmas, BOs, cochins, Black Australorps,and a few Delawares.

chick #1 They do have light brahmas, this chick has no feathers on it's legs what so ever though. They also have several other breeds. There was 2 other chicks that looked like this one but they had much more developed combs and waddles that were bright red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chick #2 The do not have buff brahmas, they do have BOs and buff colored cochins, no other buff chickens though. Has feathered legs. My guess was light brahma x buff cochin... There were about 5 other chicks like this one with little red waddles and combs.
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 and #4. These two look almost exactly alike, no pink to their combs at all. No leg feathers. Others like them had huge red combs for their size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #5
    This chick fell in the water dish, and was drying. These pictures were taken yesterday, today she is running around with wings tucked back up. Her feathers are still sticking out all over though. Other chicks that looked like her had red combs, I took the only one without comb color.
    [​IMG]

Chick #6
    The do not have an GLW or any other adult that looked like this chick. Two other chicks had the same coloring, one had comb development, the other was the same as her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. chick #1 - hmm, what do they have that looks like it?
    chick #2 - buff brahma ????????? strange that they don't have buffs because it don't look like no cochin and i raise em [​IMG] and i raised a brahma and it looked just like that one only it was light
    chick #3 - buff orpington
    chick #4 - buff orpington
    chick #5 - buff orpington
    chick #6 - ????????????????????????????? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you have a list of all the breeds they have? That would be very helpful in finding out what these little guys are.
    here is a light brahma [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  3. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    They have EEs(only a couple), Barred Rocks, light brahmas, BOs, cochins, Black Australorps,and a few Delawares.

4. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Quote:I have buff brahmas too, My chicks looked a lot like that as well, but they have none.

5. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I agree that 3,4 and 5 are BO. They look exactly like mine do, they are 3 1/2 weeks old. Number 6 maybe a silver laced wyandotte. We have some of them as well and they look somewhat like that right now, also 3 1/2 weeks old. Number 1 I am completely stumped on......maybe white orpington? Number 2 definitely looks like a buff brahma to me but you said that's not something they offer so hmmmmmmm???!!

6. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Ah, chick #5 looks different she is almost all black. I posted chick 4 twice, this is chick #5
    The wet chick(at the time) She is dry now, wings are not draggy and she is running about but her feathers still stick out. She looks like a crow.
    [​IMG]

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You've got many mixed chickens there. The black with white chest and gold leaking are cross of Barred Rock hen and some other roo, maybe Buff Orpington. The pullets that look like Orpingtons have yellow legs so they are crossed too. Your white pullet could very well be pure Delaware and black (reposted pic #5) pure Australorp but it's any ones guess. You listed the breeds they have but were they penned all together? Thinking yes. And what breeds where the roosters?

If you can say what breeds the roosters are then list off all the hen breeds we could likely nail down what each cross is.

8. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    They have roosters and hens of all the above stated breeds. They are penned seperately at night but free range all together during the day. except the EEs which do not free range as they wont stay in the yard.

9. Ya, they could be cross breeds but they may be pure so i am thinking chick #1 - delaware & chick #5 - australorp
    were you wanting them for show or just as backyard chickens?

10. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Backyard chickens. I have quite a mix myself. Tetra Tints, Golden Comets, EEs, Silkies, Buff Brahmas, leghorns, Red sex links, spitz, polish, RIR x silkie,,,,ect so more breeds wont bother me. Just curious.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by