• Light is Roo, Dark is Pullet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

emilysaurus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Oakland, CA
Hello friends! I hope you can help me identify our two little fuzz balls that our broody hatched about 4.5 weeks ago from eggs we purchased from a local breeder. The breeder didn't know what egg combinations he gave us (they were from a mixed pen) but he has Ameraucana (Blue/Wheaten), Barnevelders, Blue Partridge Dutch, English Coronation Sussex, Light Sussex, Salmon Faverolles, and Cinnamon Sussex (his own project which has the Chocolate/Dun gene so instead of feathers that normally are black, they are now brown). Here's a link to his site that lists all his breeds.

We suspect the light one is a cinnamon sussex and possibly a roo, and the darker one a mix of Barnevelder and something else, probably a pullet. What do you think? I know it may be too early to tell but I thought it would be fun to start guessing and we can see who's right as time progresses!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I emailed the breeder who thinks that the light colored one is most likely a Corronation Sussex and the dark one is a Silver Barnevelder. He didn't make any guesses on gender though. Any ideas - anyone?

No guesses from anybody yet? We're now at 6 1/2 weeks so I'm adding some new pictures. Would appreciate any feedback on their sex!

Dark one we suspect to be a Silver Barnevelder.

And the light one we suspect is a Coronation Sussex. Its comb was the first to appear - at about 1 wk - among other chicks hatched at the same time, though this was the only one of this breed which I have learned grows more rapidly than other breeds. The comb does not appear to have grown at all since the first week and has only pinkened slightly. No wattles yet either as far as I can tell.

edited for grammar

Last edited:
Cute chicks! I'm not sure what they are, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the poll! I have young Barnevelder chicks and am trying to sort out which ones are roos. They're a few weeks behind yours, but I'm looking for all the signs.

Back
Top Bottom