6.5 month old hens aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hpardee, Dec 5, 2012.

1. hpardee

hpardee New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    I have had my hens for about 6.5 months and they are not laying. And we have about 25. I have 2 Rhode Island Reds and the rest are mixed between Barred Rocks and Australops. I know in winter laying decreases but I don't want to keep them all winter if they aren't going to start laying at all. Please help!!

2. One of mine started laying at about 7 months and oyster shells helped alot u can kinda tell when there gonna start laying when (some person I was buying the chickens from told me this ) u check there vents when they poop . If there vent is big and moist there ready r start laying but if its really small and not moist or anything there not ready yet ! And if there comb is red and big thats a sign to

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Young hens that mature in the fall will sometimes postpone laying until the days start getting longer later in the winter. To help get them going you can add light to increase the length of day.

- Add light in the morning to give about 14 hours of light. Allow them to have a normal twilight so that they can find their perches and settle in for the night.

- Be sure to secure your light source - at least 2 ways - to reduce fire risk. Dont allow cords to dangle. Metal fasteners are better than plastic, which can melt.

Oyster shell will not speed up laying, and is only necessary after the birds start laying.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. hpardee

hpardee New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok thanks. I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by