6.5 week buff laced polish - sex me!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superchemicalgirl, Jun 1, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This was my "free rare chick" from my McMurray order - so for starters the odds are stacked that it's a boy.

I have no other crested and this is my first time with chickens... so I turn to you, BYCers to help me out. The chick acts like a space cadet and hates to be touched, but I think that's normal for Polish and not indicative of sex.

Here's my photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for playing!

2. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Ya got a boy!!! Very handsome feller, too. [​IMG] Polish take a while to tame down- don't worry.

With that kind of crazy wild pointy hairdo, there's no doubt. Pullets tend to have fluffy tennis-ball crests at that age. He's got nice sickle (boy tail-feather) development, too.

Love your username [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I agree.... Roo!

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

It's good you prepared yourself-that's a boy.

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Darn! And thank you all for your help. I wanted a rooster, but I never planned on a polish one.

I know it's the wrong place to post this but: are polish roosters just as good at protecting their girls as regular roosters? I'm thinking the head puff prevents them from seeing predators? And will *all* chicks hatch with a puff?!

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had a Polish boy, but my females tend to have some vision problems early on in their lives but when they learn their home and surroundings, they start to remember where specific things are, like blind dogs. The more exposure they have to their living space, the better they become. As far as protecting the flock, honestly, very few roosters have the heart of a lion anyway. I've had some brave boys (non-crested) that chased away naughty squirrels and curious cats, but that's it. As far as flying-predator-warnings, if the Polish in question were to see something out of the corner of his eye, they'd warn everyone. But I can't promise that he'll actually be on the look-out. That depends on him.

We haven't lost a single crested to predators. Ours have learned to watch and listen to their flockmates, and always stay in groups. If he's the only daddy, then all of his offspring should hatch out with a tiny, but still present, crest. Not as big as his.

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Both my polish are super cuddly. I thought that this was the norm??? I love that they will just fall asleep in my arms.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    You guys are good! He crowed twice this morning, or attempted to at least, when I let them out this morning.

I was half asleep, really dragging this morning and his crowing attempts made me laugh so hard I actually feel awake.

9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I was going to say cockerel already but I see by your post he let the cat out of the bag. Males have a wild crest, very large that will drape over the sides of the face with pointed shaped feathers. The females have more of a tidy, round tipped feather, kind of a cotton ball (in shape, not texture) top that looks fairly symmetrical any way you look at it.

10. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    It's a boy! Pullet polish have rounder crests as chicks, like Muffin (Raggamuffin)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by