1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6-7 Week Old Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PrudentPrepper, Jun 21, 2015.

1. PrudentPrepper

PrudentPrepper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    Ozarks
    Typical story. Bought 10 "pullets" and I am thinking one is not a girl. The nine look exactly alike and the one looks quite a bit different.

[​IMG]

Side by Side

[​IMG]

The one.....

[​IMG]

The other nine....

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, you have a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  3. PrudentPrepper

Jun 21, 2015
    Ozarks
    I honestly hope he is a boy, I need breeding stock anyways. I have 5 RIR cockerels and 5 Black Jersey Giant cockerels that are 4-5 weeks old and I can start to see the difference there as well. I am almost positive he is a boy, but just wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed; the one on the left in the top pic and in the second pic is a cockerel. The one on the right in the top pic and in the bottom pic is a pullet. Your boy should make a nice rooster for breeding with your girls. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    x2

6. PrudentPrepper

Jun 21, 2015
    Ozarks
    So, considering they look so different, I guess my real question is, COULD this difference be attributable to an overly developed hen? I know it is unlikely and I know that this guy is probably a roo, BUT what is the real percentage? Is it possible at this point he is a she that is more developed than the other nine? Or is it a home run that this is a roo?

7. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I would say it is a "home run". If you need convincing just observe his behavior. Is he the first to run towards you when you put your hand in? Is he the most outgoing in general? Does he challenge the other chicks all the time, especially when you let them outside? All signs.

8. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    The likelihood at that development that it is a fast maturing hen is pretty low. Granted, I did have one hen who did that, but the overall possibility is very low.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My answer to your questions is "there's no chance that the bird in question is an overly developed hen." That bird is 100% cockerel. Also the ratio you have is significant as well. Most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexed chicks, and in the hatcheries I've ordered from I typically get 1 cockerel for every 10-13 pullets with sexed orders, so your ratio of 1 cockerel out of 10 pullets ordered is right on target as well.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Absolutely no chance that it's a girl. Pullets won't start to turn red in the comb until they are almost ready to lay eggs. For most breeds, that is usually around 14 to 18 weeks old. A pullet will not have a red comb before 10 weeks old. It's just not possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by