6-7 week old chicks- heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hikerfrog99, Mar 12, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I live in SC. Although it is pretty warm during the day now we are having a couple of nights with temps in the 29-42 degrees. Not consistently but still. They are outside in a locked coop but I am concerned about warmth. I do not have electricity in the coop and I would like ideas how to keep them warm. They are ameracaunas and are fully feathered. I have older chickens and know about baby chicks but a little confused on juveniles.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’d relax. It sounds like your chicks are well acclimated.

I raise my chicks in a brooder in the coop from Day 1. One end of the brooder is kept warm but the other end cools off as it will. I’ve seen that far end frozen at times. Yeah, it can really cool off. When it’s that cold the chicks stay pretty close to the heat. But when it is just cool, they play in that far end a lot, just going back to the heat when they need to warm up. They get used to cooler temperatures and feather out faster.

A few year ago, I took chicks from that brooder when they 5 weeks old and put them in an unheated grow-out coop. The overnight lows were consistently in the mid 40’s. About three nights later the overnight low hit the mid 20’s. The chicks were fine. That grow-out coop had good draft protection on the floor where they were.

Your chicks are older than mine were and it sounds like they are well acclimated. As long as they have decent draft protection they should be fine.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I turned off the heat to my 2-3 week olds yesterday. The layers are in with some broilers and they produce plenty heat. Ducks the same thing, 7/8 are over 300 grams and only Derpy Duck is under 200gram. But even with 170gram s/he holds up fine. They are in the house though. There the temps never go under 65F. But once I get my 3x4 up by the house and this storm passes they go in the coop with a heat lamp. Ducks are just so messy. [​IMG]

4. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    3 sides are closed off in the coop. The front is fenced with the door. I'm thinking just to put some plastic over the fencing in the front only in the evening and removing it during the day.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like a plan.

6. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by