6-8 week old chick laying on side

crissy1079

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
She was laying on her side one day. I gave her rooster booster in her mouth on and off for 1 day. Next day she was standing acting normal. 2 days later she was back laying on her side. She is eating drinking looks alert no other problems. But can’t stand. I started rooster booster and switching between nuti drench again. Now 2 days later she is still on her side. She is in the house cuz I was worried the others would peck at her. She was with 2 other chicks same age around 6-8 weeks old. Still eats and drinks I put small bowl of food and water near her head so she can reach. Anyone have a clue what this is or what else I can try?

She cannot stand at all now? Can she move both legs, and does she move her wings? Are her toes curled under? Does she have any diarrhea? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? That could be a possibility at her age. I would make sure that he vitamins contain riboflavin (B2) since Poultry NutriDrench does not. Poultry Cell, and probably your Rooster Booster vitamins do have B2 riboflavin. A chicken sling might be helpful to get her upright, keep her cleaner, and to help her get food and water. Here is some reading about Mareks disease:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

She cannot stand at all. Like her legs are weak. She has no diarrhea and she is not vaccinated for Mereks. If I hold her up she will kick her legs. So she can move her legs and wings. She tries to move around by pushing herself around and chirps. I did think Mereks but a day after I started her on the Vitamins she seemed completely recovered. So I didn’t think they recover from Mereks so fast. The next morning she was standing and eating and drinking. Then the following day she was still fine. Even flew out of her brooder when I opened it. Then the following day she was on her side again. I had stopped the vitamins after she was acting better. So only 1 day of vitamins. Now I’ve started her back on vitamins and so far no change. She was on regular started feed. Now I have them on medicated feed. Is it possible the medicated feed is canceling out the vitamins? Should I switch back to regular feed? Should I treat for Corri I don’t see any diarrhea. But should I treat anyways?

She cannot stand at all now? Can she move both legs, and does she move her wings? Are her toes curled under? Does she have any diarrhea? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? That could be a possibility at her age. I would make sure that he vitamins contain riboflavin (B2) since Poultry NutriDrench does not. Poultry Cell, and probably your Rooster Booster vitamins do have B2 riboflavin. A chicken sling might be helpful to get her upright, keep her cleaner, and to help her get food and water. Here is some reading about Mareks disease:
56AFB195-3641-49D7-BB28-4EC33777CA05.jpeg
56AFB195-3641-49D7-BB28-4EC33777CA05.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom