6-8 week old muscovy ducklings gagging/throwing up mucus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binji, Jul 2, 2016.

1. binji

binji Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    i have two precious baby muscovy ducklings that are 6-8 weeks old(not sure, but theyre pretty well feathered). i just got back from a four day trip, during which my sister took care of them, but when i got back they had no food or water and their cage was a bit nasty, so i fed and watered them.
    then i noticed that one had mucus dribbling from her beak and as i watched she threw up clear/white mucus, and the other is gagging just a little. i gave them a deeper water bowl just a second ago.
    ive never had ducks before. is this normal? do i need to do something?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I don't know much about ducks, but give them some electrolytes and vitamins in their water. It may be due to their going without water or being overheated. I remember reading where ducks need a place to wash their faces. Be sure and post on the duck thread, and you can PM Amiga, Pyxis, and others who know more about ducks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    thanks, and oops ill go put this in the duck forum and see what they say but ill keep ur advice in mind!!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is very serious for a duckling to be without water.

They will overeat, and overdrink if they are dehydrated, and yours were dehydrated. Watch them carefully.

I would give them lukewarm water, and put electrolytes in it. I would also set the water in front of them for a few minutes, take it away for a few minutes, then put it back to prevent them gorging on the water.

I would wet their food thoroughly also, and just put a little in front of them, wait a while, then put a little in front of them again.

I would do this until they appeared normal. Then I would leave the lukewarm water and wetted food with them. But I would be checking on them every couple of hours till tomorrow.

@binji

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    thank you! i think theyre doing fine now; theyre in their kennel and both seem perfectly normal and she hasnt thrown up in abt an hour, but ill wet their food down and keep checking up in them

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Great news! I know I don't need to tell you this, but please bear with me - the ducksitter needs a retraining session. A good start is the sticky on Raising Ducklings. It's fairly short and to the point.

7. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    yeah, she's not ever looking after them again. ive learned my lesson, and the duckling's lives are definitely more important than any trips i could take.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This kind of thing happens from time to time. Glad they seem so much better.[​IMG]

I don't travel as much as I used to, either. It's rare for my beloved and me to go away together. One of us needs to stay home and tend the living beings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by