6 Arkansas Blue Hatching Eggs - Presale #5 ---- AUCTION

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
This is PreSale #5. We will ship as soon as they are laid!

You are bidding on 6 (six)

ARKANSAS BLUE
Hatching Eggs

You will get Blue, Black, Splash and possibly some White from these breeding pens.

NPIP 71-621
Listing ends on January 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM. Last bid in at or before close time wins!

Attn: These eggs are available to ship starting December 1, 2012
You will get the first available batch of eggs from our pullets!
We will only make a few presales available. This gets you reserved on the waiting list.

600x443px-LL-eb3852e3_BlueUA2.jpeg

547202_4270720133931_267296352_n.jpg

What is an Arkansas Blue?
An unnamed researcher in the commercial poultry industry crossed a commercial White Leghorn with an Araucana. The result is a Blue fowl, similar in appearance to a Sumatra. It is clean faced without muffs, beards or tufts. Most will have a pea comb with yellow skin and shanks. We have seen slate shanks in some of our flock. A few single combs are also possible. Our flock hatched from eggs acquired directly from the Poultry research farm, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville. The research farm had received a few hatching eggs from the unnamedresearcher. The Tufted Araucana has a lethal gene, these have excellent fertility and hatchability with no signs of the lethal gene. The plumage is a beautiful Blue with a percentage hatching Black, Blue, Splash and White.

Egg production should be at 300+/- eggs per year.
Egg color is a lovely Blue.

It should be noted that these are NOT Easter eggers.
These are a new breed that only a few breeders have.
You may learn more about these Arkansas Blue egg layers at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-unversity-of-arkansas

We currently have one pair of Blues and a trio with a Blue male, a Splash hen and a Black hen. These are in a community breeding pen now with both males possible as sires of the eggs you receive.
Our choice on which hen's eggs to ship.

A census has revealed there are only 6 flocks of the Arkansas Blues that exist.
The UofA have dispersed their flock and the "unknown" researcher has sold his flock to an unnamed commercial industry hatchery.

600x450px-LL-3d530e59_BlueUAEggs.jpeg

Here are photos of this breed at a friend's farm.
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

One of ours that we have culled.

LL

Payment:

We accept PayPal only
Shipping: Priority Mail $15.00

The eggs we ship you are fresh. We ship by Priority Mail, and encourage you to have us put your phone number on the package so your local Post Office can call you to pick the eggs up when they arrive. If you wish us to do this, please include it when you send your payment. We wrap each egg individually and take great care to ensure that they reach you safely.

As with all shipped eggs, we have no control over the conditions during shipment, or your specific incubation environment, so cannot guarantee the hatch rate of the eggs we sell.

Shipping and handling rate is to the continental US only. We ship only to the lower 48 US states.

Disclaimer:
Please understand these eggs are being shipped through the postal service, we cannot guarantee your hatch rate due to variables in shipping, weather and incubation methods. You are buying eggs. However we do guarantee fresh eggs are collected and wrapped very well for their journey. These Arkansas Blue Egg Layers hatching eggs are from our flock of breeders. If you do have a concern with shipping, incubation questions, or your hatch please, do not hesitate to contact us.

We have great success in our incubators but cannot guarantee hatch rate do to conditions beyond our control after they leave our farm.

Payment PayPal only no e-checks!!!!!
Payment must be made at time of purchase.

Please leave feedback after you receive your eggs, not after they hatch.

You are bidding on eggs, not chicks.

There will be no refunds unless we are unable to ship the eggs by April, 2013.

File ALL damage claims with the USPS.

We do not replace shipments damaged by the USPS.

Before buying hatching eggs from anyone, please watch this free

Incubation Seminar with Dr. Keith Bramwell of the University of Arkansas at

On Aug-26-12 at 19:13:57 PDT, seller added the following information:

On Aug-27-12 at 17:49:58 PDT, seller added the following information:

Some questions were asked of these Arkansas Blue chickens on the BYC thread. I will try to answer each of these questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-from-unversity-of-arkansas/320#post_9554144

Quote:
first--- " why are you using a pic for the UofA research pen as the cover for your eBay listing " this is a very good question why??

This is a photo of the parent stock. I also used photos of my flock, including the culled single comb white cockerel.

Quote:
second - " if these birds are so newly developed how do we know what to expect when we hatch " this is a question YOU should answer BEFORE selling hatching eggs we know these birds where developed for production line birds we also know that production line birds carry ALL kinds of recessive traits for example white birds there is evidence to prove that they carry some sort of a recessive white gene because i have a white bird you yourself hatched a white bird there is really no way to tell what all may crop out of these

You gave a better answer than I could have given. So far no one has asked me any questions, outside the few on this thread.

Quote:
third - " what proof do you have that lay 300+ eggs a year " i would like to know the same answer ? " where did you hear they would lay 300+ eggs a year " again i would also like to know this ??

I had thought that I read this in one of the many emails with Dr. Bramwell. In any case, I should have typed the statement slightly different. I do plan on copying and pasting this post as an amendment to the listing.

Quote:
fourth- " would i hatch single combed chicks " another great question i say YES we know they are out of single comb leghorn type birds due to the fact that single comb is recessive i would say they are more than likely carries so you may hatch up to 25% single combed birds and i would also expect them to show up for several generations as in breeding them we will be overlapping restive traits

I believe the photo of the single comb would show that single combs are possible. Malformed pea combs are also possible. Not sure the percentage would be 25%. Of the chicks we hatched only one was white and only one had a single comb. It was the same bird. I also addressed this in the listing.

Quote:
fifth- " will they all have slate/blue legs " the answers in NO i have 2 with yellow legs again yellow leg is recessive so they could all be carry this trait or not but you will not know till you hatch some for yourself and see what % has slate/blue and what % has yellow

This was also addressed in the listing. If this becomes an exhibition breed one day, a Standard would have to be drafted to decide if it should have slate or yellow shanks.

Many folks have emailed me asking when some of these hatching eggs would be made available. To be honest, I am not quite ready to sell any. We are testing fertility this week. Though the pullets are laying and the cockerels are dancing, we have no proof the eggs are fertile. I would also like to build my own flock up. Thus the presale. Fertility will be proved with new chicks in our brooder in a few weeks. The listing will also allow those with Arkansas Blues to see what the hatching eggs will sell for and what interest are in them. If no hatching eggs sell, I will most likely move the flock over to the laying coop and my wife will get a lot of pretty, large, blue eggs to cook.

Walt (fowlman01) has stated on another thread that few breeders sell hatching eggs. If I were rich, I would probably never sell or give away a single egg. Stock maybe, but not eggs. You never know if that egg you sold was your best bird ever. But, we are not rich. Chick starter is now over $20 per 50# bag. Our egg sales pays the feed bill most of the time. To be honest, the reserve on these is so high, I doubt they will sell. We will know after 7 days. Or sooner if the reserve is met. If they do not sell, I will relist at least once, but setting the reserve at the last highest bid. Last year we sold some Buff Wyandotte eggs for over $80 a dozen. This year some of our eggs went for $120 a dozen. I was shocked. Will these Arkansas Blue sell? No one knows yet. Guess we will soon find out. With any new product, the market must be tested.

Who knows, next year the hatchery may have them listed and our eggs will be worthless or close to it.

Anyone wishing to email me questions may do so via PM here on BYC.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-unversity-of-arkansas

Last edited:
Its Bird_brain's!

We will relist these in a few days.

Meanwhile, here is what hatched this weekend. Blue basket is Orpingtons. White basket is Arkansas Blues! Curious what color the one with the spotted head will be.

I am looking for info to contact the hatchery about the Arkansas blue chicks. I would like to find out the prices of pullets and shipping.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom