6 baby chicks and can;t tell which is which!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amyunderwood307, Apr 15, 2012.

1. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    so i just got 6 baby chicks that are a 4 days old. i have the following
    • silver laced wyandotte
    • jersey giant
    • black astralorp
    • ameracauna
    • buff orpington
    • ISA brown

the problem is i cant tell any of them apart! is there anyway you guys could give some charractoristics of those breeds? i know there harder to tell what breed when there chicks, but charractoristics when there hens are fine to!
    if not, ill try to upload some pictures! if i can find the camera...

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your silver laced wyandotte will have some chipmunk like markings, and look like its wearing a mask. It will have yellow legs and feet. The jersey giant and black autralorp will be black (and some white), they may look like little penguins. The ameracauna is probably marked like a chipmunk as well, but it'll probably have chubby cheeks and blue or greenish legs. The buff orpington should be a solid yellowish chick. I'm not sure on the ISA, I've never had them, but if you can figure out the rest you've got it. It'll be the only one left ;) good luck, hope this helps!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Pictures would be best. Your BO will be yellow. Your ameraucana (EE most likely) should have very puffy cheeks, but can be any coloration...maybe have greenish tinged legs too. Your BA will be black on most of the top w/cream underneath and maybe some on face. Not sure about the rest, although I'd assume the BJJ would be mostly dark too...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    thank you! that helped a ton. the only one i cant distiguish is the buff orpington and the ISA brown. one of them is all yellow, and the other is the same color yellow, but has a deep yellow stripe on her back.

5. SKG1121

SKG1121 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    GA
    i think the one without the stripe might be the orpington and the one with the stripe is the ISA brown.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    • silver laced wyandotte[​IMG]

• jersey giant [​IMG]

• black astralorp [​IMG]

• ameracauna ~ will have puffy cheeks [​IMG]

• buff orpington ~ [​IMG]

• ISA brown ~ [​IMG]

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Nice collection of pics! If I'd seen this a few days ago, I would have realized that a few of the Ideal mystery bantams at my feed store were silver-laced wyandottes (although I'm happy with the Nankin I chose without knowing what it was).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by