6 baby ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kgordon, May 15, 2019.

1. Kgordon

Kgordon Hatching

May 15, 2019
    we got 6 ducklings at our local farm store 3 weeks ago. Boy did I get myself into something! But I love them and we’re working on getting their permanent shelter finished. Problem is 1 of 6 is not doing well. Seems to have a niacin deficiency. I have been adding brewers yeast to their feed for the past 2 weeks or so because I didn’t know about it at first. Even the people at TSC couldn’t tell me whether I really needed it or not. Anyone know if 1 of the 6 can be deficient and not the rest? Should I put additional niacin in their water or do something different?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Yes. Some individuals may process vitamins less efficiently, or excrete them more quickly. If a riboflavin-deficient food is fed to chicks, the Merck Vet manual says that only about one in ten will exhibit symptoms.

You should probably use something besides Brewers yeast. It doesn't have a lot of bang for the buck, and what's usually needed to correct a deficiency of any sort is a huge dose all at once.

I'd buy niacin (nicitinimide. Not inisitol hexanicitinimide--forgive me if I spelled those wrong) from Walmart in tablet form, if you can find any. More and more lately, I've noticed I can't find any niacin but the flush-free/slow release variety, which isn't actually niacin. If you can't find it, go with B-complex. You can pick that up from Walmart or from your local farm store. The stuff at TSC/Rural King is in a great big bottle that says "injectable" on it. You can administer it in their water.

3. Kgordon

Kgordon Hatching

May 15, 2019
    Thank you. I’ll go tomorrow. Do you know how much to give?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I read on poultry DVM that it should be a minimum of 40 mg/kg. I usually use more than that, but I favor the "dump" method of dosing with vitamin B, since it's water soluble and easily excreted.

5. Kgordon

Kgordon Hatching

May 15, 2019
    Unfortunately he didn’t make it.

6. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    :hugs so sorry

sylviethecochin likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: