6 chickens dead within 2 months of each other.

jandmgriffin

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
I had 6 chickens all from the same place die within 2 months of each other. One Wyandotte started with a cough. Then the others started mild cough. Gave antibiotics in water for 2 weeks in the course of those two weeks all died but two. Then another died about 2 weeks later and today another died. No other symptoms except a dAy or two before they died they became very lethargic. Treated with vet rx and antibiotics (yellow granular) in water. Any thoughts? I have five other chickens and one we thought was becoming lethargic so we isolated it gave it antibiotics and apple cider vinegar in water. Seems to be better. Cleaned out the coop the other chickens were in and bleached the inside and all feeders and waterers. Put another flock in. Any thoughts on why they died. I feel like we are doing everything we know to do but are experiencing a lot of death and it is discouraging. Any advice is appreciated.

tI have heard of this happening from people I know. They get these chickens and everything is fine, next thing you know they are suddenly sick. One after the other starts dying. Have you checked your feed for possible mold? Did they have any other symptoms besides a cough like any discharge or discoloration?

If you were hearing coughing then I'd suspect some kind of respiratory disease Respiratory diseases do kill chickens fairly easily, it's very often side effects from the disease that kills them rather then the disease itself. They so often, and easily, morph into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections and that's what often gets them. It's also best to dose each bird directly, if at all possible, when using antibiotic's rather then put meds in the water. When birds are sick they may drink very little so may not get nearly the dose they need each day.

If you have another one pass you might consider having a necropsy done to see if you can find out what's going on so you will know how to treat your other birds. It does get discouraging, we've been down that road too with an Infectious Bronchitis outbreak. Best of luck, hope you are able to get some answers.

Back
Top Bottom