6 Chickens in one nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEREINMAINE, Aug 14, 2010.

1. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I am new here ((although I have been lurking for awhile)) and I have a question.

Does anyone know why my 6 Rhode Island Reds all huddle in one nesting box at night, when they have 6 boxes to choose from. (They live in a very nice coop with lots of room)
    They are 16 weeks old. If I separate them, they go right back into one box. Is this normal?

Thanks![​IMG]
    Donna

2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Safety in numbers??
    Still a bit young and not independent is what comes to my mind.
    As they get older I think you will find they will start separating. [​IMG]
    Do you have roosts for them??

3. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for responding.

Yes they each have a roost. I have never had chickens before, and am new to this rural farm living. (family in Boston is still absolutely horrified that we are doing this) [​IMG]

I guess I will just have to wait and see. They do cluster together most of the time, even though they have lots of room.
    Donna

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I agree with Annabella said. Sounds like they're a little out of their element & maybe scared & so "huddling" in fear. If they don't already have a roost I would put one in & then just give it some time & once they see it's all ok & they are feeling uncomfortable I imagine they'll all go for the roost... They'll probably still all huddle up up on the roost too I know my full grown chickens are all shoulder to shoulder.

5. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    thank You! I wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong.

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by