6 Chickens in one nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEREINMAINE, Aug 14, 2010.

1. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE Hatching

Aug 14, 2010
    I am new here ((although I have been lurking for awhile)) and I have a question.

Does anyone know why my 6 Rhode Island Reds all huddle in one nesting box at night, when they have 6 boxes to choose from. (They live in a very nice coop with lots of room)
    They are 16 weeks old. If I separate them, they go right back into one box. Is this normal?

Thanks![​IMG]
    Donna

2. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Safety in numbers??
    Still a bit young and not independent is what comes to my mind.
    As they get older I think you will find they will start separating. [​IMG]
    Do you have roosts for them??

3. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE Hatching

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for responding.

Yes they each have a roost. I have never had chickens before, and am new to this rural farm living. (family in Boston is still absolutely horrified that we are doing this) [​IMG]

I guess I will just have to wait and see. They do cluster together most of the time, even though they have lots of room.
    Donna

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    I agree with Annabella said. Sounds like they're a little out of their element & maybe scared & so "huddling" in fear. If they don't already have a roost I would put one in & then just give it some time & once they see it's all ok & they are feeling uncomfortable I imagine they'll all go for the roost... They'll probably still all huddle up up on the roost too I know my full grown chickens are all shoulder to shoulder.

5. HEREINMAINE

HEREINMAINE Hatching

Aug 14, 2010
    thank You! I wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong.

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by