6 Chicks 12 weeks old, do you think any are roos? (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Aug 1, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Daisy
    [​IMG]
    Lucy
    [​IMG]
    Frankie
    [​IMG]
    Charolette
    [​IMG]
    Pat Pat
    [​IMG]
    Sunny
    [​IMG]

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    one way to tell is to see how big thier feet are. if they are relly big they are most likely roosters! to me they all looked like hens... maybe the last one tho [​IMG] cute chicks !!!!

3. thehbcrew

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    yeah all their legs are about the same size, the one barred rock i really thought was going to be a rooster because of the early tell tale signs, but that has seemed to have changed. Which is good, I'm hoping they are all hens

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    So what are the early tell tale signs of a chick being a rooster?? I am wondering about this with some of ours....thanks!

5. thehbcrew

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    well the barred rock which i was worried ab out had a large white spot on his/her head, his/her tail was different then the rest, and he/she's voice change well before the rest, thought it was sign of crowing coming soon. But i think she is just growing/mature faster then the rest. Someone posted a picture of picking the baby chick up a certain way, and if they lift the legs i think it was supposed to be a girl. I dunno. Don't think there is a true know how

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    they all look like pullets to me!!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

~ Aspen

8. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would say "Daisy" may be a cockerel. The waddles look bigger than the others.

9. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I would say "Daisy" may be a cockerel. The waddles look bigger than the others.

[​IMG] Daisy would be the only one I would be concerned about. The waddles and even the comb look to be larger than Lucy's. Although the tail feathers seem to be pretty small and uniform so far. I am thinking Daisy is a Cockerel, but its not a science and I am no expert.
    The others all look like pullets for sure! [​IMG]
    Good Luck with your birdies!​

10. thehbcrew

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    based on this daisy should be ok "Baby Golden Comet roosters are soft yellow/white and the female chicks are brownish red making it easy enough for even my color blind son to tell the difference."
    she was a mostly all red when we got her, but the comb does worry me some days, guess it may depend on the breeder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by