6 chicks needing ID or Sexing (silkies, cochin, frizzle and mix?)

BOOMchickengirl

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
The oldest two came out of an asst bantam bin. Pretty sure one is a buff silkie but it's head doesn't have much of a poof for how feathered it is. The frizzle has heavily feathered legs, five toes, light skin with dark skin around the eyes. The comb makes me worry it's a roo.

Two I'm certain are cochin. The bigger one I believe is black. It's not much bigger, but has a much bigger comb, and many more tail feathers. The smaller one has brown on it's head and wing feathers. It also has white "shoulders". I'm hoping it's a female gold laced.

Today I picked up two silkies. Only after I got home did I notice it has light skin on it's legs (how did I not notice?!?). Still has five toes thogh, and is incredibly fluffy.

Any ideas?

And aren't they all just the cutest???:love

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 56
A frizzle isn’t a breed, but a feather type. That bird would be a Bantam Cochin except for the fact it has 5 toes. Someone else here bought frizzled BC's from TSC and they also had 5 toes. I don't know what Hoover's (the hatchery that usually supplies TSC) is up to, but their quality has gone so far down hill it's insane.

The last pic, the chick on the left is a Silkie. The one on the right looks like a Silkie mix. Though after seeing everything else from TSC, I'm assuming that's just their level of standards for their purebred birds.

It is much too early for the younger birds, but your buff Silkie looks like a cockerel already. Your frizzled Cochin with the adorable face, is looking like a pullet.

@Rhodebar Lover @TheOddOneOut @The Happster @EmmaRainboe @JadeFarms check these out.

A frizzle isn’t a breed, but a feather type. That bird would be a Bantam Cochin except for the fact it has 5 toes. Someone else here bought frizzled BC's from TSC and they also had 5 toes. I don't know what Hoover's (the hatchery that usually supplies TSC) is up to, but their quality has gone so far down hill it's insane.

The last pic, the chick on the left is a Silkie. The one on the right looks like a Silkie mix. Though after seeing everything else from TSC, I'm assuming that's just their level of standards for their purebred birds.

It is much too early for the younger birds, but your buff Silkie looks like a cockerel already. Your frizzled Cochin with the adorable face, is looking like a pullet.

@Rhodebar Lover @TheOddOneOut @The Happster @EmmaRainboe @JadeFarms check these out.
That's wild. Very similar to that one controversial chick a few weeks back. I am putting my money on them releasing Sizzles soon.

I knew many breeds could carry a frizzle gene, but I had thought there was an actual frizzle breed as well.

I'm not certain what hatchery I got my first four from, but Hoover's sounds right. All four died because they were in the mail too long. The others were a hodgepodge (kind of a long story). I don't know where the 5 toed frizzle came from. The newest two came from a local co-op, and I hadn't planned on picking any up that day, but had been looking for two silkies. When I asked how long they had been in the mail the lady told me there were actually acquired from a woman that was breeding a lot of chicks that year, but she didn't know the details. The little black one has black skin, five toes, and feathered legs. Can't think of what else it would be other than a silkie, but I'm fairly new to chicken breeds. The extra fluffy yellow one has blue skin and beak, but the bottoms of it's feet are lighter, and it also has five toes. Is the light one the one you feel confident is the silkie?
It's not really a big deal to me as long as they are healthy and have sweet dispositions. But I am a researcher type and would love to figure it out.

I feel confident they are both at least Silkie mixes. The black one also has a head spot. I really do believe that one is mixed. But with Silkie! I couldn't see the extra toes from the pics.

Back
Top Bottom