6 Columbian Cochin Babies and Momma Thanksgiving Photo Shoot Post#10:)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I kept sticking eggs under my broody so we've got a staggered hatch going on. She hatched two, one hatched in the bator and three more scheduled to hatch soon. When they hatch, I'll just give them to her. Hope she'll keep taking them. These babies hatched three, four, and five days ago. Here are the babies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How can you tell if they've pipped the air cell? The air cells look huge and on two of them, there seems to be a shadow in it. My bator is at 100 degrees and 64% humidity.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    How cute! I need to get new pics of mine, they are starting to feather nicely and looking more like Columbians.

3. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Awwww how cute!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Last night, my three others hatched and two were taking so long and I thought my humidity drop earlier in the week may have caused some excessive drying of the membrane so I eye dropped some warm water on the babies...of course making sure not to hit the beak...what a disaster [​IMG]

It took forever for them to hatch and when they finally did (with some help..I know, I know)! they could hardly walk. They just laid there.

I was so bummed but read on this forum where excessive humidity can cause "squishy chick" which means they have absorbed all the water I put on them making them too heavy for their own feet.

I took the top off my styrophoam chest bator and kept the light on to dry them off. They are doing much better now and I just gave the last two to momma. It's been a week since the first three hatched and she still took them... [​IMG] Let's hope they keep improving.

6. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]

7. renatpreschool

renatpreschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I WANT SOME!!!

I've always loved your roo in your picture and those babies are the cutest!

If you ever decide to offer hatching eggs, pleasepleaseplease let me know!

8. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

oh me tooo! i have a little banty columbian wyandotte and i love her to pieces! i would love to ad a columbian cochin with her!

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I'll have some in the spring and Im getting some mottleds this weekend!! so, hopefully, they'll be laying too.

Thanks so much, guys. All the babies are doing wonderful and are climbing all over mommy. I'll post some more pics today [​IMG]

...and just contact me in the spring if you're still interested.

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Here is all the little babies healthy and happy and ready for their first photo-op [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Let me first tell you it wasn't easy getting six chicks and momma to all pose for the camera
    [​IMG]
    after we regrouped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I caught these little guys takin a snooze during the shoot
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait to show my in-laws these pics after we've eaten Thanksgiving dinner on the exact same table all my chickens were frolicking about on one weak prior [​IMG] he he he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by