6 Cuccko Marans or 12 day olds ??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by J's Orpingtons, Dec 26, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    OK, I have got some Christmas money which I'm going to spend on Chickens. I would like to start a laying flock, from which I can sell eggs from [​IMG] , at the minute I have a small feild where I have :
    4 ISA Browns
    3 Cockerels
    Pair of nice Buff Sussexs
    And a Splash Birch-in Sussex,
    ...On average I'm getting 3 eggs a day. I sometimes get 5. I am selling 1/2 Dozens to my Neighbourhood but I am only selling about 2 a week because I need eggs for myself. SO, I was thinking of getting 6 nice "Dominate Barred" POL's from a Hatchery close to where I live. Their basicaly the Hybrid type of Cuckoo Maran. I like them because they lay 310 + eggs a year !! And if you have Marans I'm sure you know that they lay lovely big and mahogany eggs. BUT... I was going to get 12 day old chicks instead of the POL's I would really like the Chicks...But I have to make my mind up [​IMG]
    SO! [​IMG] Im getting them hopefully 2morrow or the next day, so what do you think I should get 12 Day old chicks or 6 Cuckoo Marans ??
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    If the day old chicks are straight run, I'd go for the POL gals.
    Come to think of it, I'd probably get the 6- because they are laying, and you are wanting the eggs now for selling. The chicks will take the cost of raising, and the time to wait for eggs. And ,again, if they are straight run, you might only end up with a few females.

Yep, I'd get the 6 POL gals, and then I would get things ready and get the chicks in 6 months to a year. [​IMG]

3. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Quote:Thanks. Im going to get some Marans POL then [​IMG]

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ppst picture of what you get [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would get the 12 to watch them grow up and i do have plenty of room for extra roosters (no freezer camp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by