6 day old baby chick problems..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyChickens09, Feb 10, 2013.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Chick was born February 4, 2013 and the lone survivor of shipped hatching eggs. It was very healthy up until yesterday when it got real lethargic. This morning is was still acting real lethargic so I gave it some sugar water and changed its bedding. As of right now it is acting a little bit better but when it goes to poop it almost pure water and dries yellow? One potty had a little white with dark green stripe in it but the rest is liquid.. I am not sure what is going! It is on medicated chick feed and now paper towel bedding. I am not sure if it get antibiotics or Cortaid(sp?) or just to go ahead and euthanize it. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    What's the temp in the brooder?

3. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Might try some electrolytes in the water, like sav-a-chick, or some nutridrench for protein. Also could try some scrambled eggs or egg yolk, to make sure it is getting some much needed nutrition. Make sure it is warm, but that it also has plenty of space to get away from the heat lamp, it could be getting to cold or to warm. It could possibly have a crop impaction. :fl hope it gets better.

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Good advice from wildriverswolf90!!

5. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    just came home and it is just standing in one spot and chirping and not laying down and its crop feels like its full of water and when I went to pick it up it spit up water and still has solid liquid "poop".

6. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Sounds like it isn't eating right, if you have a syringe, fill it with raw egg yolk and drop eat it, slowly drop by drop, into the chicks mouth. Don't tilt the chick back when you do this, just try to gently hold the head up, and drop near the top of beak, so it doesn't inhale it. :fl praying for it to recover.

1 person likes this.
  7. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Poor baby, I really hope he or she gets better soon, its so sad to have a sick one.

8. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Thanks...I am really suspecting sour crop.. not sure really how to diagnose sour crop or really how to treat it if that is what it is?

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like it could be coccidiosis. Loud chirping, diarrhea, lethargy.

With liquid diarrhea at that age I give 9.6% Corid liquid, diluted. I give 9.5 ml per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the sole drinking water source, mixing new solution daily. It is available in the cattle section of the feed store. There doesn't need for there to be bloody poo or for the chick to have been on the ground to get coccidiosis. It can be transferred into the brooder (cocci).

I am not sure about it vomiting water- I haven't seen that with coccidiosis but I wouldn't take a chance myself with diarrhea in a very young chick like that. I never raise chicks anymore without my handy bottle of Corid around.

If it does have a crop problem as well I'd make sure that you have some chick grit or sand sprinkled over the food lightly until 2 weeks of age (then give a bowl of grit on the side at 2 weeks). If they eat too much grit it can cause impacted crop.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Also I'd give it a little mirror for company so it doesn't get lonely. They get terribly lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by