6 Day Old Chick Embryo Picture. First Candleling Mistake.:(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ScrambledAcresFarm, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I was candleling my eggs today and found an egg that was half air on the inside. Knowing this is bad, I just knew that the chick couldn't survive or was most likely already dead. I cracked it open only to find a chick whos heart I saw beating. [​IMG] Talk about a horrible feeling.[​IMG] Too late now. So now I'm learning from my mistakes. Heres a picture of what I had.
    [​IMG]

2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Oh no. [​IMG] So sorry, I could imagine how you fely. [​IMG]

I use to think it was bad also, until I just let it go and they hatched. They seemed to be the first to hatch also. I have learned not to give up on the egg until it stinks.

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I seem to learn everything I know the hard way too.....but I learn from my mistakes. You do too, I can tell.

Just by creating this thread will teach others, so what a noble thing you did by showing those new to candling what can go wrong.

Thank you. And here is a hug...[​IMG]

Claudia

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Repeats herself 10 times..I will not toss an egg unless it stinks. That must have been horrifying for you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I think all of us have learned the hard way one time or another, it is part of life.

What did I learn from this picture:

If I think the egg is bad and have decided to dispose of it, don't crack it open or I will [​IMG] because I was probably wrong in my thought. [​IMG]

6. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Awww [​IMG]

7. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I also saw it moves it's eye! What this whole thing has been about is that I have never seen my rooster breed any of my hens! I told my husband that the rooster does it at night when no one is looking! But we really didn't think any of our eggs were fertile. I bought a new bator and I've got 5 eggs in there. I candled 3 this morning and in one I could see the little fella moving around! It was so eggciting. And then this happened! [​IMG] I'm still kicking myself. [​IMG] And yes..... leave it tell it stinks! Got it![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  8. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I am right there with you!! I didn't think any off my eggs were even fertile, I cracked almost all of my eggs, to find blood rings, duds etc... Then last night I cracked a "dud" to find a perfect 9 day fetus in there!!! Opps!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!! I truly can't wait till this set is done, I don't think I am even going to candle next time, ok maybe half way through! [​IMG]

Jenn [​IMG]

9. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    So sorry [​IMG]

10. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Oh I am so sorry! I am on day 6 and some of them don't even look fertile, but I am leaving all of them in there til they stink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by