6 Day Old Chick Embryo Picture. First Candleling Mistake.:(

ScrambledAcresFarm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Caulfield, Missouri
I was candleling my eggs today and found an egg that was half air on the inside. Knowing this is bad, I just knew that the chick couldn't survive or was most likely already dead. I cracked it open only to find a chick whos heart I saw beating.
he.gif
Talk about a horrible feeling.
hit.gif
Too late now. So now I'm learning from my mistakes. Heres a picture of what I had.
14851_100_5161.jpg

Oh no.
ep.gif
So sorry, I could imagine how you fely.
hit.gif

I use to think it was bad also, until I just let it go and they hatched. They seemed to be the first to hatch also. I have learned not to give up on the egg until it stinks.

I seem to learn everything I know the hard way too.....but I learn from my mistakes. You do too, I can tell.

Just by creating this thread will teach others, so what a noble thing you did by showing those new to candling what can go wrong.

Thank you. And here is a hug...
hugs.gif

Claudia

I think all of us have learned the hard way one time or another, it is part of life.

What did I learn from this picture:

If I think the egg is bad and have decided to dispose of it, don't crack it open or I will
hit.gif
because I was probably wrong in my thought.
big_smile.png

I also saw it moves it's eye! What this whole thing has been about is that I have never seen my rooster breed any of my hens! I told my husband that the rooster does it at night when no one is looking! But we really didn't think any of our eggs were fertile. I bought a new bator and I've got 5 eggs in there. I candled 3 this morning and in one I could see the little fella moving around! It was so eggciting. And then this happened!
he.gif
I'm still kicking myself.
somad.gif
And yes..... leave it tell it stinks! Got it!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am right there with you!! I didn't think any off my eggs were even fertile, I cracked almost all of my eggs, to find blood rings, duds etc... Then last night I cracked a "dud" to find a perfect 9 day fetus in there!!! Opps!!!
he.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif
smack.gif
!!!! I truly can't wait till this set is done, I don't think I am even going to candle next time, ok maybe half way through!
celebrate.gif

Jenn
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom