6 Day Old Chick Got Pecked in the Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahdee, Feb 20, 2015.

1. sarahdee

sarahdee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Orangevale, CA
    She (hopefully!) was perfect when I bought her at a day old and the next day I noticed her eye was shut and kind of glued together. Wasn't sure what happened until I saw her siblings peck the eye again!!! How can I help her? I've been using a cotton swab and warm water to try and keep the area clean of the gunk, but it's not getting better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would get a tube of antibiotic ophthalmic eye ointment, around $10 from the feed store, and put a bit along the edge of the eyeball. I would be sure not to touch the eyeball or eyelid at all. I would also separate the chick from the others and take her inside til healed.. If you have some BluKote, you could try putting it in the area of the eye, but again, being sure not to touch the eye or eyelid itself. It ay be this will stop the others from bothering her.

Be sure your chicks have enough space and are cool enough. Being a little too warm or crowded can cause behaviors like this. Even at one week there should be no more than 2 per square foot of open floor space, and by 4 weeks they need twice as much. There should be enough space that there are warm and cool areas so they can move toward or away from heat if needed.

She may or may not have vision when healed, but only time will tell. I wish you the best of luck!

3. sarahdee

sarahdee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Orangevale, CA
    Thank you so much!!! I will get stuff for her today! The brooder is very large (converted child's train table 4'x3' I'd guess) and they have plenty of room to be warm or cool. I think I just have a bully of a little chick in there. I appreciate the help, I didn't know that I should touch the eyelid, so hopefully I didn't further injure the little cutie. It was never with a bare finger, only lightly with the cotton swab.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by