6 day old chick has angel wing/slipped wing UPDATED WITH PIC POST #7

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
I have a 6 day old chick here that I hatched. She appears to have angel wing or slipped wing. Does this sound genetic? None of the other chicks have this and they are all on the same feed (Purina medicated Chick starter). Is she too young to tape her wings? I really worry that the tape will stick to her down feathers and hurt her when it's time for the tape to come off. Does anyone have experience correcting this on a chick? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is definitely mentioned more with waterfowl (especially the name "Angel wing" in particular). Other poultry can develop slipped wing though. Waterfowl are what typically develop the really profoundly out-turned wings. I have never personally seen a chicken with that, but I'm sure it is possible. Either way, I can't imagine you would see this in such a young chick. Even waterfowl (which grow much faster than chicks, hence also probably why you see Angel wing in them) do not develop it usually until at least 4-6 weeks old.

No chance that there's a Frizzle parent, I guess? Their wing feathers look bizarre when they start coming in.
hu.gif

Hey,

It is a BLRW chick. She shouldn't have any frizzle in her background. It is definitely angel wing/slipped wing from what I have read online and from looking at pics. I will try and find my camera (lost at the moment) and get a picture to post. Her wing tips stick straight out from her body.

Last edited:
Here is a picture taken tonight. Her wings are being held against her body, it is just the tips of her wings that are sticking out and away from her body. This has only happened since her feathers started coming in.

Is this an okay age to tape her wings? Should I wait longer until more feathers come in? Is this genetic or food related? Again, she is on medicated Purina Chick Starter, just like all of the others.

47689_angelwings1.jpg

LittleGrey - the lighting is making the color look funny. Maybe that is why?

Tala - the roo and hens are kept in a separate pen at the breeder's place who sold me the eggs. As far as I know, there is no possibility of a Frizzle roo getting to the BLRW hens. Only the BLRW roo is kept in with them.

Edited to add: Also, the feathers are growing straight, they are not curved like Frizzle feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom