6 day old chick has been sick for days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renbrant, Mar 12, 2017.

1. renbrant

renbrant Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Hey guys! New here, and new to chicken keeping, though I have been doing research for weeks before getting my baby chicks.

So sorry to have a first post that is sad, but you all are so helpful and I can't think of a better place to ask about this.

So, last Tuesday I picked up four one-day-old chicks- one Ameraucauna, one Barred Rock, one cochin bantam, and one silkie bantam. I have them in a large rubbermaid with hardware cloth on top, pine shavings for bedding, with heat lamp aimed at one end of the bin. Everybody looked great at first.

On Thursday night, I came home from work and the little silkie (my favorite, of course) was being super lethargic. She would get up some, but when she laid down it would be almost flat out and she seemed exhausted. She would eat a little if I got her attention, but mostly she pecked at random things. I syringe fed her a little bit of electrolyte water.

The next day, she couldn't walk, but she seemed more energetic somehow. Was still pecking at food. I gave her electrolyte water several times over the day, and my friend checked on her while I was at work-- she was walking again. I syringed her a little bit of egg yolk that night and she ate some of it on her own too. I put a divider in the brooder so the chickens are on one side and the other little bantam was with the sick silkie. My other three chicks are all doing great, growing a lot and super energetic with great appetites, and the silkie kept getting trampled, but she didn't want to be alone either.

The next morning, yesterday, she wasn't walking again, and a lot of the time she would have her legs stretched out straight behind her. She would try to get around with her wings but mostly she doesn't move much. She will eat food with short bursts of energy. I've been syringe feeding her electrolyte water and egg yolk. I also tried hobbling her legs so they weren't so sprawled out. They seem very weak, and so does she. Sometimes she lays there and her breathing looks very labored. Other times she sits up and almost looks normal. Her poops, from what I can tell, are pretty normal but I don't think she's having many.

I really didn't think she was going to make it through that first night! They are so tiny and new and I felt like if there was something wrong with her, it would take her pretty quickly. I'm really not sure what to do right now, but I am leaning towards putting her down... The little cochin really does not like being away from her healthy buddies, and if I was seeing some improvement I would be more optimistic, but I don't think this is something I can get her through.

Just hoping for some advice! Have you ever had a sickly chick that got better after a few days? I'm worried there is just something wrong with her. She's so young-- they will be a week old tomorrow. The other three are doing so great, so I don't think it's a husbandry issue. I don't want to give up on her, but I don't want to be unfair to the others, and as I work full time, I don't know if I can keep taking good enough care of her.

Thank you for any responses!

2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Sounds like you are doing just about everything you can short of an expensive vet bill. And it hurts when you watch them fall apart, but some chicks just weren't built to last. Learned that lesson a few weeks ago myself with a weak chick who failed to thrive. :(

3. renbrant

renbrant Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Thank you for your reply, TattooedChicks. It has been really hard to see her not able to move.. was really hoping I could get her better but I sure haven't seen her improve. :( I do think sometimes they just aren't meant to make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by