6 day old chick not growing!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lelilamom, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    We picked up our usual four BBW chicks at the farmers exchange this past Tuesday. They were a day old. This is our 4th year raising turkeys. Yesterday I noticed one was peeping constantly. Today I went to check on them and change out the water and noticed that the peeping chick was noticeably smaller than the rest. It's a "he" I'm pretty sure and when I pick him up, he weighs nothing at all and feels like he has no bones, where as the three others, one male and two females, are bigger and are considerably more solid.

I've observed "peeping tom" eating and drinking.

Do I have a problem on my hands?

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How do you know the sexes of them at that age? Are you vent sexing? Otherwise I don't really have any advice, sometimes there's something wrong internally and they will start faltering at about a week old, but if it's eating and drinking that's a good sign.

3. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    The males were strutting and trying to gobble two days after we got them. It's the funniest thing at that age.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've had them display at around three weeks but never that early, it must be adorable.

5. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    It's hysterical! Unfortunately, our small male is much worse today. I've fed him mashed feed and sugar water and he is just laying in a box in the brooder. He gets up occasionally, but I'm afraid he isn't going to survive.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I recently had a week old chick I hatched die at about one week in the same manner. Sorry. Thing like malformed organs won't start giving them trouble until about a week in. That at least was what I thought was going on with my chick.

7. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    Our Peeping Tom passed away a little while ago. :( Poor little guy.

8. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sorry for your loss.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by