6 day old chick w/ wet, swollen rear end

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrRedandCrew, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MrRedandCrew

MrRedandCrew Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Hello! I am new here and have questions/ concerns about my 6 day old chick. She was hatched by a broody hen in the coop and I have let her stay out there since she's been thriving. Tonight I got home from work and her little butt is wet, stinky and very swollen. Vent looks to be protruding a bit also. It's not just her rear that's swollen, it's her abdomen too. I'm guessing she's backed up pretty bad. I've used a warm wet rag to wipe away as much pooh as possible and tried to gently message swollen area in hopes of moving things along. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Sounds like she might have gotten pasty butt. There is a video here I just found on youtube.

[​IMG]

If the video doesnt play on the forum, here is the link

It sounds like you're doing pretty well, but just follow up like this lady suggests, and you should be good.

3. MrRedandCrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Thank you! I thought PB too, but don't understand that wet, swollen abdomen. It's also damp with wetted feathers down. Any thoughts?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Ohhh! I've never even heard of that, I'm glad you were here. I actually had a chick die from that this spring, but I thought it was just some sort of hatching problem. [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Usually it is an e.coli or staph aureus infection from birth, maybe from an egg that was soiled.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    LS-50 (lincomycin-spectinomycin) water soluble powder is very effective against E. coli. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I wouldn't recommend injections on a 6 day old chick. Perhaps you could separate the hen and her chick and let them drink that solution. It wouldn't harm the hen. Then give vitamin-mineral powder with probiotics for three days after treatment.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  9. MrRedandCrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Thank you everyone for your input. I put her and mama in our spare bathroom tub and started her on antibiotics, electrolytes and scrambled egg for probiotics. I have been cleaning her rear 2-3 times a day and have decided it is probably just pasty butt. She seems to be quite a bit better. Depending on how she is tonight, I may return her and mama to the coop so the others don't get too used to them being away. Thanks again for all the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by