6 day old chick with head tilt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liljunie, Dec 2, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I noticed one of my chicks with head tilt this morning. I don't know if it had it yesterday, I don't think so since I put it aside as a keeper and think I would have noticed. I had another splash with a severe leg deformity (legs were over head), I tried bracing them down for a couple of days but they popped right back up). Seems to always be the splash chicks!

Any advice?? Walking and eating and drinking OK. Cull,sell as pet??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Was it born this way or did it develop this? It could possibly be wry neck. Wry neck has been successfully cured with vitamin E , very tiny amount of selinium to help with absirbtion of the E vitamin.be careful it can be toxic in larger amounts. Vitamin B and liquid childrens vitamins polyvisol without iron.
    There is a great article with doseing information on a
    website called browneggblueegg.com. go to the
    table of contents and look at crook neck. You can try treating with the vitamins to see if it helps.if she was born this way it is a result of two revessive genes meaning they show up when two birds are mated that carry the same gene. this causes the wry neck and can cause wry tail. I don't know weather or not she was hatched this way or it developed. If it developed you can try the vitamins. Either way as long as she is able to eat and drink she should be fine. If it is genetic and she was hatched this way not much can be done. As long as she is able to get around and eat and drink she could still make a pet. Hope this helps. Best wishes

3. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    Thank you!! I will check it out.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Realsis. Wry or crook neck is also called torticollis. You can use poultry vitamins in the water, but most multivitamins do not contain the selenium. It is available online in a Vitamin E capsule with selenium.I would probably give this plus poultry vitamins for awhile just in case of other vitamin deficiencies from birth. Here is some info:
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/node/600
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2gk0whv8v2_b

5. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I will look to see what vitamins came in my poultry first aid kit. Thank you !

6. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    The wry neck is worse this evening, I am not sure if the chick was able to drink any of the vitamin water i put in earlier.
    Could not find Polivyte without iron, so I bought Flintstones without iron and selenium. I crushed a very small piece of both and dissolved in 5cc hot water then fed a few drops with a insulin syringe. I also separate the chick so the others are not running it over. Wish us luck!
    How often should I give it?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I had one born with wry neck. A severe case of it. it was like a limp noodle. After reading up on it I only had vitamin E capsules on hand and since it was late, I told myself I would get the selinum and infant vitamins the next morning if he made it. So I cut the vitamin e capsule and opened his little beak and put the majority of the oil in his mouth. My daughter stayed up with him, giving him drinks every hour and by the next morning he was perfectly normal. We named him wry. lol

1 person likes this.
  9. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    [​IMG]

Here is Wry now. One week later. spoiled little booger. I didn't think to take a picture before when I thought he was dead but take my word for it, it was bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by