6 day old chicks with squishy lump on right side of neck...HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HoneyNBenNKids, Jun 5, 2011.

1. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    We've 100 Cornish Cross,50 Rhode island reds, 50 barred rocks, 25 golden comets, 50 buff brahmas and 25 buff orpingtons. They are eating a commercial starter mixed with oyster grit, raw milk and a wee bit of yogurt. On day 3 I noticed diarrhea in about 4. I worried about coccidios (spelling) and added the raw milk and yesterday added yogurt as I was worried about what was considered raw milk products. (Apparently, before the meds were available farmers treated it with raw dairy)

Anyways, last night I sat out their food and water (mixed with ACV and a scoop of probiotic vitamin solution) and this midmorning noticed they were out of water and food. I hurried and made up their food and water. Their food is still dryish...it's damp not wet...still crumbly. So they've been playing all day and we go out to turn on the rest of the heat lamps for the night and noticed they have these lumps that goes from the top front of the right wing over to the left side of the neck.

I'm so worried!

They're in a brooder we made and their bedding is a mixture of straw, pine pellets, and pine flakes. Their water is elevated and is washed everytime their food is filled. Their water is washed and filled daily. The brooder stays at a around 85. During the day the heat lamps are turned off and we turn on two fans to keep it there. They have lots of ventilation and I get in the brooder in the morning and evening and smell the floor to check for ammonia, poo,etc. I'll add more bedding if I smell anything.

They're pooing normal poos and the diarhea went away and only 2 more got the poopy butts. It's not pasty stuck to their anus but it's dripped down onto their feathers. I cleaned them by dipping them in warm water (they LOVED it or were terrified into not peeping at all) so it'd loosen up. It was deep enough their feet touched and it just covered their bums. It'd fall off into the water and then I'd wipe with a paper towel and dry them with a clean paper towel. I held them close to the heat lamp while drying their bottoms until dry. They're walking around fine and peeping....

I'm worried and the kids started crying. I thought it'd be their crop but it's only on one side! HELP!!!! Oh, and the Cornish Cross has an area about the size of a pinky nail without feathers.

Are they ok? Am I being ridiculious?

On a side note...it'd be nice to have some pictures of issues so people know what things are. The internet only provided drawings. I'll add a picture tonight once DH comes home as my camera's full.

Thanks for you time and help!
    Honey
    HoneyNBenNKids at Gmail dot Com

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Their crop is only on the right side. Check them early in the morning before they eat and it should have gone down.
    sharon

ETA: That is a lot of chickens!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds like that is only the crop full from eating and it's totally normal [​IMG] I wouldn't worry unless they started laying around with their eyes closed. That lump should always be done in the morning IF there is no feed available to them during the night.

ETA: WHOA that IS a lot of chickens! I'm imagining your coop/run size! LOL

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You have to have 10 posts to be able to post pics so make a few more. How big a brooder do you have them in?
    sharon

5. HoneyNBenNKids

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:So should I remove their feed? I put out a bunch of oyster shell and just a wee bit of feed as I thought if it was crop the extra grit wouldn't hurt.

I'll post a pic and video of their brooder. We made it ourselves out of cardboard, lathe slats, and large staples. It's about 15 feet by 25 feet. I'm spatially challenged but it does take up 2/3 of our 3 car garage width and about 1/3 of the depth. I looked up info about space and it said 1/3 sq. ft. for weeks 1-4. I thought that was too small so we figured it at 1 square foot each plus water and food space and came up with 375 sq ft of space for them. They're also going to start going out into the yard once they're 4 weeks old so they'll have lots of room then.

And, THANK YOU!!! for the quick response. All the pics make it look like the crop thing is on both sides so I was worried about them. And, I didn't think the cornish cross got the patchy look until later when they're bigger.

Honey

6. HoneyNBenNKids

Apr 14, 2011
    What does ETA mean?

Honey

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You don't have to remove the feed. They just meant that if the food isn't there they won't be able to eat anything before you can see that the crops went down. It seems like with mine that if food is there all the time available they don't pig out but if I let them run out they eat like no tomorrow! EWWWW the other day my barred rock ate a frog...alive....it was trying to hop out....argh.

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Edited to add

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    ETA= Edited to add and if they are young don't add oyster shell at all. Not until they are laying eggs. I would remove their food for the night just to be sure and it makes you feel better knowing for SURE thats what it is but I'm pretty sure it is. Then it's ok to keep their food in all night, I always have.

10. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Good idea! And relax. It sounds like you are a super good chicken mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by