6 day old ducklings weak, and getting weaker

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaumlauf, Mar 6, 2013.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    These are hatched from our brother and sister mixed Pekin/Blue Swede, which we raids from chicks. The bedding is cedar chips. They are eating the crumbles the parents are eating..They have heat- we removed them from the mother, because she was ignoring them and pecking them very hard. Any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    First of all get rid of the cedar shaving, not good for ducklings or chicks. something to do with the cedar oil in the shavings. get some pine shaving to keep them on. I believe I'd get some kind of vitamins poultry like Poultry Nutri Drench or save a chick and put int their water. make sure the temp in their brooder isn't too warm should be around 85 to 83 right now. but diff remove the cedar bedding. that could be the problem.

3. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Thanks for the advice. I did get rid of the cedar, and have vitamins, B and Niacin, and save a chick in the water. Temp is OK.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well now you want to be careful and not over dose them, I'm not sure if I would be adding all of that at once. look on the save a chick and vitamins to make sure your not doubling the amt of vits, It's been a while since I use save a chick so i forget what all is in it. Maybe use save a chick on day and poultry vits the next and maybe have another waterer with the niacin so it's not all mixed into one waterer. The vitamins and niacin are the important ones right now. or the niacin and save a chick if it has essential vits in it. not sure about the B's I'll have to look that up.
    good reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/321211/vitamin-questions-for-ducklings

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by