6 day old Peking duck limping.

Augustine val

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2015
Please help! I am new to having ducks. I have a 6 day old Peking duck that is limping and does not like to walk. She was fine yesterday and this morning. I feed them 18% dumor chick starter with nothing in there water. On the leg that she limps on she does seem to have a little lump on her toe. But I'm not sure if it is normal. What can I do to help her???? Please help..

Hi!

@Augustine val

If all you can see is a little lump, that may be within the normal range for their feet - a photo might help if you could upload one.

Sometimes a duckling will need more B vitamins than their food provides. Here is something I wrote up about what I have seen and read, regarding ducklings and B vitamins:

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom