6 days left in incubator and chick is wiggling some

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommasChicks, Apr 2, 2015.

1. MommasChicks

MommasChicks New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Hi,
    I am wondering when I should put the eggs into lockdown. I am incubating Seramas and am on 6 days left. When I candled this morning I noticed one egg wiggling a little and I thought yesterday and today I might have heard a little peck (is this possible or maybe I was hearing something else) I don't hear any chirping yet. I am planning to put them in lockdown when it is 3 days left, unless they decide to hatch sooner. Do they wiggle sometimes this early? There are no pips or anything yet. Temp has been 99.5-99.6 the entire time. They are in a Brinsea Advance incubator. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Seramas, if I am correct are bantams and they are known for hatching a day or too early so it is intirely possible. Most people still go into lockdown on day 18, unless you see an earlier pip. You can tell if they have internally pipped when you candle them. You can see the shadow of the beak in the air cell. Sally Sunshine has a video near the bottom (I think) of the Assisted hatching thread that shows an internal pip. Good luck on your hatch!

3. MommasChicks

MommasChicks New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Thank you AmyLynn for the helpful info. Their little beak isn't in the air cell yet, so no internal pips yet. Looks like we are still heading toward the 18 day lockdown unless I see a pip before. It's getting so close and so exciting! Usually my days will go very fast, but it seems now since I am awaiting these cuties arrival that they have become very long days LOL

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes,time slowssss waaaayyyyy dowwnnnnnn at hatch...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by