6 days with eggbound hen - she is going to die - do I let her go naturally - or put her down?

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
I wrote several days back about the last of my meatbird hens that I rescued and raised as layers all summer. I had 3 left going into winter, as soon as snow came, they stopped moving, stayed in the coop and just ate. ( I wasn't about to starve them.) Two died before Xmas - the one left is eggbound. I brought her to the vet - got an Xray - we saw the egg - with its' shell, perfectly formed way up in her abdomen. Vet gave Calcium shot plus liquid calcium for home and amoxycillan - it is not working. Up until yesterday, I had some hope. She awoke yesterday walking around outside her dog cage (we have her in the house) doing an eggsong - like she was looking for a place to lay. After 4 days off and on in the cage - I figured she didn't want to lay there so we put her back in the coop for about 5 hours. Now, I think that may have been a mistake. We brought her back in last night. She still eats but is no longer drinking. I have been giving her watermelon with Gatorade poured in it - she will eat that.She hasn't laid by now so I think this egg is stuck. The vet said she probably would not survive surgery as she is an overweight meatbird. I talk to my husband about putting her down - he said she doesn't look uncomfortable - let's let it play out. What do I do now? I don't want her in pain - should I give her aspirin? I'm a basket-case -can't work, I can't concentrate - the thought of prolonging pain bugs me. Then I feel like an idiot projecting my human emotions on a chicken. Has anyone been through this? I just want this to be over. This is the thread right after I brought her home from the vet.

The last of my meat bird layers is eggbound - vet gave calcium - still no egg - suggestions please!

I think everyone has to decide for themselves what to do in your scenario. I go by what their quality of life is like...if in pain, I think it's merciful to put them down. If they still seem to be enjoying some simple pleasures and maybe it's an age related issue, I let nature run it's course.

I'm sure there are other opinions, you have to be the judge of what's best for her (and maybe that won't be the easiest for you).

So sorry you're in this dilemma, unfortunately, it's one a lot of people with animals have to face.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. My dilemma is that I don't know if she is in pain - how can you tell? She doesn't seem to be as you can still pat her without her making uncomfortable noises. Right after I posted, I had a neighbor call with a slight emergency so I left for 3 hours - leaving our hen with my husband relaxing beside our woodstove I just came back home to find she is eating and drinking water again! My husband says she just needed a little time with daddy LOL! Can't imagine why she would prefer him - I am the one giving her baths, poking and prodding - he is the one giving her peanuts, blueberries and neck massages! You know, I had dogs and cats growing up, if someone told me a year ago I would get this attached to chickens - I would never have believed them.

I think I can guess why she prefers Dad over Mom
lol.png
Hmm, poking/prodding vs. blueberries/neck massages. Yep, no contest!

It doesn't sound as if she is really hurting and it's a good sign that she ate and drank. When I had a hurt bird, they didn't want to be touched and wouldn't eat and/or drank very little. It's really hard with chickens, they just can't tell you what's wrong (kind of like 1 year olds).

You're last sentence could have been written by me at one point...until you watch them grow up, see their personalities emerge, watch the funny things they do, it's hard to imagine. But attachment certainly does happen! Although your friends and family that don't have birds might have a hard time "getting it", you'll find plenty of members here that do.

Hope your girl improves, keep me posted, ok?

Back
Top Bottom