1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 dead pullets... weasels are dead to me

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by telemaster, Aug 11, 2011.

1. telemaster

telemaster New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Went to feed the chickens this morning and there was nothing but carnage. I lost 6 hens to a weasel. All their heads had been chewed off or chewed on until they died. I have a small homestead and these girls were supposed to get me closer towards self sufficiency. I have 10 roosters in the coop/run too, but no... none of them were killed. They are scheduled to go in the freezer in October. I don't think there is a way to secure against a weasel with out a big investment. I will be moving aggressively towards eradicating them. Traps, traps, and more traps.

The way I figure it, at 300 eggs/year for two years that weasel cost me at least 3600 eggs. I hate weasels.

What an awful morning.

Any advice for getting rid of the vermin is greatly appreciated.

2. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG]

You seem to already know what to do...
    Traps, traps and more traps...

[​IMG] Sorry for your loss...
    See where they were able to reach thru or got in and fix it...

1/2 inch hardware cloth is the safe way to go but I have read
    where weasels can still reach thru...
    Reinforce what you need too...

3. telemaster

telemaster New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the condolences. What an awful way to start the day.

I didn't have time to investigate where they got in, but will do once I am home from work this evening.... and steps will be taken to reinforce where needed.

They picked the wrong flock to mess with!

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Weasels are very smart and hard to trap. A snug coop is your best defense. They only need a tiny hole, so you need to find out how it got in. I have a friend who was successful trapping one, but it was tricky. It was winter and he saw the path and hid the trap well for when it came back for more.

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I had a weasel attack about 2 mos ago, killed 2 of my 6 hens. Reinforced coop and enclosure. Tried to trap the bugger, it would get the bait but escape the trap! I gave up on capture and close my chickens up tightly in coop every night at dark. There were signs of attempts for about a month but he seems to have given up now. My Feed Supply Guy told me to sit out there with a 22...Good Luck Weasel Hunting!

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does electric fence work against weasels? If so what height would it be? We are planning to put up a hotwire around the run for when we go on vacation next summer and won't have anyone reliable who can open and close the coop for us (we will have someone to feed but they don't live nearby so can't come morning and evening both). Maybe the OP can try a hotwire too?

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Weasels are smaller than a rat - skinnier, anyway. I don't think a strand of electric will do it. Maybe if you get the electric netting, so the whole thing is hot? They can climb, and can get through very small openings (less than 1").

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    If you do a google search on "trapping weasels" you will get some very good options that actually work very well.... Sorry for the loss and good hunting.

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Google weasel box, then have at it.

Make certain your coop has no holes larger than 1/2 inch and if it has a dirt floor time to mix some concrete.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Any hole big enough to allow a mouse entrance will allow a weasel to gain access. They can be trapped using one of their victims as bait, The fortunate thing is they are very territorial so getting rid of one should eliminate the problem for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by